Best way to deal with bad driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well apart from my suggestion on road positioning. I found it help me control or at least influence drivers' behaviour. For some reason you don't consider that an acceptable contribution and would rather snipe instead.
I don't see how reconsidering road positioning is any way to deal with bad driving after it's happened. I also don't see why you think @Welsh wheels isn't already in a good position or why a metre from the kerb is better than the cyclecraft/bikeability primary position.

It's also only influence and only if you're lucky. It's an illusion of control. That may be why it's so seductive an idea and anyone who dares admit getting buzzed by motorists gets criticism of their cycling (it's their fault for not controlling the motorists' urges better) rather than the post-incident suggestions they actually asked for.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't see how reconsidering road positioning is any way to deal with bad driving after it's happened. I also don't see why you think @Welsh wheels isn't already in a good position or why a metre from the kerb is better than the cyclecraft/bikeability primary position.

It's also only influence and only if you're lucky. It's an illusion of control. That may be why it's so seductive an idea and anyone who dares admit getting buzzed by motorists gets criticism of their cycling (it's their fault for not controlling the motorists' urges better) rather than the post-incident suggestions they actually asked for.

Well in that case all I can suggest is giving them the v-sign if only after-the-fact suggestions are acceptable

the OP may well be a super cyclist and doesn't want or need advice but I for one would have benefitted from "cycle well out" advice despite having cycled for maybe 40 years previously before I worked it out for myself. I would not have considered it patronising.

Edit: I really don't understand your attitude. At worst i've suggested something the OP already knows, at best it's a helpfull suggestion. I don't get why we cyclists shouldn't at least try and influence motorists around us.

Last edited:

Debade

Über Member
Advice on riding position - advice contrary to Cyclecraft, no less!

I have not read Cyclecraft but many other safe cycling recommendations. I did not recognize recommendations that were not appropriate in these posts. What were you referring to? Not challenging you. I want to learn. Perhaps I missed something.

davidphilips

Veteran
Get a camera if it bothers you that much and you want evidence to take to plod?

Otherwise ride assertively, but safely and defensively

Now that seems to be the best advice to me, there was another cyclist killed a week ago close to where i live, the driver hit 3 cyclists killing one, on a long road in day light, that road is a dual carriageway and the driver should not have even been in the same lane.

Its my view that until good bike cameras become more reasonable priced and most groups/cyclists have have them fitted both forward/rear facing and start to report dangerous drivers nothing will change, cyclists will be treated like cotton wool obstructions not like fellow but vulnerable road users.

My advice is if you have a camera fitted and report a dangerous driver or even some careless sod driving and on a mobile phone then you may just save some other cyclists life.

I've got a loud voice, so when recently a boy racer passed me very close and at speed, then immediately skidded to turn left across me, I shouted "How are you getting on with your tiny penis?" I heard laughter from the passenger seat.

No, I didn't make the world a better place, but it made me feel better and made someone laugh. And possibly slightly humiliated someone who may - just may - think a little more next time.

Not as satisfying as pulling up along side, pointing out the camera and something along the lines of "I think we'll see what the Police think about that piece of driving"

Works even better when it is a case of "We'll see what your employer thinks..."

It's not really victim blaming to recommend from hard won experience, that you are safer and get fewer close passes if you cycle a metre from the kerb. It does annoy some motorists, and sometimes does provoke agression, but I reckon still best on balance. Some drivers are crap and / or nasty, but every little thing you yourself can do is worth considering, no?

Guy at work like this, so when he was ranting one day, handed him a sheet of A4 paper.

Then asked if the Institute of Advanced Motorists understood and accepted the practice, than it did not speak highly of his driving knowledge

He was not happy

Dan B

Disengaged member
the OP may well be a super cyclist and doesn't want or need advice but I for one would have benefitted from "cycle well out" advice despite having cycled for maybe 40 years previously before I worked it out for myself. I would not have considered it patronising.
I think perhaps you two are arguing at cross purposes, and not least because I - and I think most commuter cyclists - would not recognise "1 metre from the kerb" as "well out". I'd view it as "uncomfortably close to the gutter". Without wishing to give the OP unsolicited riding advice, I take my position from the centre line not the edge - try to be in the car nearside tyre track most of the time, or the middle of the lane when (1) moving at same speed as the traffic, or (2) especially wishing to discourage overtakes.

Back to the subject of the thread, for a couple of months I had a cheap camera and reported bad driving to Roadsafe. I gave up when the camera broke (it was cheap) and I'd had absolutely no feedback from the police that they'd done anything with any of my reports, but the other day I got a letter from them saying that they were prosecuting the vehicles registered keeper in one incident (back in January) for failing to identify the driver, so I reckon that's a result. Probably going to get another (ideally, slightly more robust) camera when I have some cash.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Well in that case all I can suggest is giving them the v-sign if only after-the-fact suggestions are acceptable

Edit: I really don't understand your attitude. At worst i've suggested something the OP already knows, at best it's a helpfull suggestion. I don't get why we cyclists shouldn't at least try and influence motorists around us.
We should also consider that we are posting in here for the benefit of those who come here after us.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As an aside, I would not suggest too aggressive of approach to motorists in the States, if you happen to ride here. It would not be unusual for a person to have a fire arm with them. And threatening the motorist , may cause a reaction that even a bright yellow cycling shirt would not appreciate.

They don't even need a gun when they can weaponise a 2-ton Volvo.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4885808, member: 9609"]If we all went to the poilce and wrote to our MPs at every single incident something would be done about it. Shouting swearing and flapping your arms about is just a waste of time and could even get you attacked.[/QUOTE]
No, it wouldn't. Or at least the something that would get done would probably not be to our tastes.

Top Bottom