Best way to maintain highest speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I just race for fun with a grp of friends and I hv a cyclometer. Let say on the flat with some gradient thru’out, the way to push the bike fastest is it by switching to the gear that gives me the highest kmh? Of course in so doing, I understand I hv to pedal within my limit. What say you abt using this method to maintain the highest speed within myself that I can cope. Is this method equates to achieving the best possible time, disregarding whatever cadence the book recommends.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Experiment with your speedo, when on your ride try pushing a hard gear where your leg are struggling and then drop to an easier gear and spin a bit faster and you will be suprised how you can keep the same speed but not burn your thighs so much.
You need to find what rpm suits your body to balance your cardio with your legs as everyone differs , some like to grind ( thinks jens voight) and others like to spin ( err boo hiss ? armstrong)

It all depends on distance. I can stick a big gear on my bike and go like the clappers for a couple of km's. If I want to maintain any sort of speeds over distance I select my gear where my cadence is somewhere in the 90-110 range, which I know I can maintain for hours if needs be.

Top Bottom