Best way to secure a bike in wheelbender stands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wealthysoup

Im at uni in Germany this semester and bought a bike. At my halls here there are only wheelbender bike stands and not much else to secure a bike to. There is a locked cage for bicycles which only building residents have access to (with wheelbenders crammed in tightly together). Whats the best way to secure a bike in these conditions?

400bhp

Guru
I'd be using 2 d-locks to secure the wheels to the bike. The front or back passing through the wheel bender. At least it makes it difficult for someone to ride off with your bike.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have wheel benders at work. They are in the basement so security is not as big an issue as if they were in the open.
Most people secure the back wheel in the wheel bender with a D lock through the rear triangle and wheel.
A cable lock for the front wheel will add some extra security.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to park the bike next to a wheel bender as it allows you to get the frame nearer the stand. Remove front wheel and lock the lot through the bars via the rear triangle. The only problem, is that it can block the stand next to it, but if it's not overly used, then this shouldn't be a problem. I had to do this for a 3 month contract, and got a 'note' on the bike, only the once, as I'd accidently blocked another stand.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whenever I'm forced to use them I put my bike side ways to the racks and take up about 4 or 5 bike spaces. But I will only use one as a last resort, preferring to find some alternative if I can.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I used to park the bike next to a wheel bender as it allows you to get the frame nearer the stand. Remove front wheel and lock the lot through the bars via the rear triangle. The only problem, is that it can block the stand next to it, but if it's not overly used, then this shouldn't be a problem. I had to do this for a 3 month contract, and got a 'note' on the bike, only the once, as I'd accidently blocked another stand.

That's what I do at our local ASDA and regularly block the next two slots. The staff get lovely Sheffield stands, but the poor customers have only wheel benders.

OP
OP
W

wealthysoup

Ive got an Abus Catena chain already, if I used that for the front wheel and got an Abus Granit Xplus 54 U lock for the rear wheel and triangle (attached to the stand) I would assume that would be pretty damn secure? Bike is a Trek 4500 disc, just to give yous an idea on whether this is overkill/not enough security. At home it will be in a cage outside (about 200 people have keys for this), at uni it will be stored in a stand outside, although there seems to be a fair number of sheffield stands there atleast)

D

Deleted member 20519

Chain through the front wheel and frame, d lock through the frame and rear wheel.

matthat

Über Member
Had to look for what you all meant by a wheelbender and found this pic!!
wheel-bender.png

Top Bottom