Best way to take an acoustic guitar on a tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Guitar_bike_1.jpg

You'd have to master the over the handlebar mount/dismount to carry it off though.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You do need to be aware that many camp sites have restrictions on the sharing of music with fellow campers. Fellow campers might not appreciate the fine music that you play so you might find yourself silenced for a large part of your tour unless you manage to find campsites that accommodate live music or you have a busking session during the day.

I'd research possible camp sites along with the transport logistics of getting your bike and trailer to and from the extremities.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My Guitalele arrived a few days ago and i can barely put it down...

IMG_0417.jpg

...it's the one in the middle ;) and I love it! After 3 days I picked up my classical and blimey it's huge!! Give it a try, not too expensive, and if you don't like the little frets your kids will. (put a capo on 7th fret of a fill size and that'll give you pretty much the guitalele).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
what's wrong with an electric?
Where do I start? The invention that did the second most damage to music in the 20th century (the most damage was done by the realisation that amplifying voices meant people didn't need to bother with singing technique).

It's not necessary to have an instrument to hand to compose music - most of the great composers throughout history wrote straight from their imaginations. If you try writing music straight onto manuscript paper you may well find your creativity is liberated.

If you really have to have an instrument with you, the sopranino recorded is a tiny and hugely under-rated instrument.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
You guys!!! :tongue:

My guitar is not that loud and as I often have to play late at night with kids sleeping upstairs, I have perfected the art of playing/singing very quietly. I doubt anyone would even be able to hear me unless they were right outside my tent. If I thought I might disturb anyone at the campsite then I would take a little walk until I found somewhere suitable.

I am a musician first and a cyclist second, bringing a guitar on the trip is very important to me. I'm sure there are ways to write music without an instrument, but that's not how I work, plus being able to noodle around on the fretboard after a long day is the best way to relax.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I am a musician first and a cyclist second, bringing a guitar on the trip is very important to me. I'm sure there are ways to write music without an instrument, but that's not how I work, plus being able to noodle around on the fretboard after a long day is the best way to relax.

In that case, cycle touring is not the holiday for you. If you want a holiday with a guitar and some cycling, use a car to get where you want to go and then go out on day rides.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In that case, cycle touring is not the holiday for you. If you want a holiday with a guitar and some cycling, use a car to get where you want to go and then go out on day rides.

why on Earth not?

There's plenty of options... travel guitars for one, the wondrous guitalele, even a trailer with an acoustic guitar or three in it isn't going to be too heavy to pull... in fact much lighter than if it had camping gear in.

Top Bottom