Best way to take an acoustic guitar on a tour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lucheni

A bike holiday with a guitar sounds great. I don't have any personal advice but would like to +1 the Xtracycle idea.

Ben Sollee and his band managed to cart a fair bit of kit around as part of their Ditch The Van tour so it's definitely feasible. They used a Surly Big Dummy to transport a cello, worked for them.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've just ordered one of these after playing a friend's last Friday...

Couldn't resist...hope my Norman's not going to get huffy...

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
A bike holiday with a guitar sounds great. I don't have any personal advice but would like to +1 the Xtracycle idea.

Ben Sollee and his band managed to cart a fair bit of kit around as part of their Ditch The Van tour so it's definitely feasible. They used a Surly Big Dummy to transport a cello, worked for them.

That's pretty cool!! I don't see any reason to not do this, the joy of having a guitar with me will more than make up for any inconvenience I may have carrying it on the bike. I'm not sure if I'll be doing LEJOG in the summer of 2012 or 2013, but will be doing shorter tours before then so I'll have plenty of time to figure out something that will work.

zigzag

Veteran
this is how i transported my full size acoustic guitar few years back, not sure if this would work on your tour :rolleyes:

Image042.jpg

zigzag

Veteran
:smile: washburn d10sb inside. acoustic guitars are very sensitive to temperature and humidity changes that are unavoidable in cycle tour, so the op should keep this in mind whatever solution he comes up with.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
:smile: washburn d10sb inside. acoustic guitars are very sensitive to temperature and humidity changes that are unavoidable in cycle tour, so the op should keep this in mind whatever solution he comes up with.

Oi! I am a she! :rolleyes:

I agree, maybe by then I'll have acquired something like a carbon fibre CA Cargo....but at the minute the plan is to use a guitar with laminate b/s. One of those bowl-back things would probably do the job but I really dislike how they sound.

jags

Guru
thisler your best option is a trailer slow up hill but other than that it will keep your guitar safe :thumbsup:

btw stick up a link to a song of yours, i play acoustic myself badly i might add but do like to hear other peoples music.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is not so cheap but I sure do have a hankering for a 12-fret parlour..... short scale, nice nut width, handy size, mmmmmmmm....

http://www.bem-music...st.pl?id=112051

Looks nice... but how much shorter/smaller is it than a standard acoustic? If it's only a few inches is it worth it? Maybe better investing in a trailer and a fully weather proof flightcase if you don't have already

jags

Guru
this could turn into a guitar thread but that guitar would be to expensive ,why noy buy one of the cheaper great sounding yamaha guitars pick one one handy enough if it does get stolen or damaged your not going to be out of pocket by as much.

just a thought.:whistle:

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Yeah, I'm not going to take a guitar that is worth any money on a tour. I'll either take the Yamaha Jr or the Sheridan I already own and put my money into a decent trailer.

New guitars are just soooooooo tempting..... :whistle:

jags

Guru
sure are i bought a beauty a Yamaha ll16 what an amazing sound but if only i could buy a pair of hands to play it :biggrin:

Top Bottom