Best web based cycle routing software?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgey

Hi - never used it before but about to plan more touring, so wondered what was the best option.

Had a look at google maps for bikes, but it seemed to suggest some very busy/ major roads?

Any advice / experiences appreciated

geekinaseat

http://www.cyclestreets.net/

or google maps but you have to apply a little more of your own logic to get a decent route on google

robgul

Legendary Member
WARNING - most of the online systems use Google maps : there are lots and lots of errors (roads that exist not being marked, and vice versa ... near here we have a "road" marked that's along a river bed that used to be a ford ... for horses and carts!)

My view is that an investment in a PC Ordnance Survey mapping product (Memory Map has the whole of the UK at 1:50000 for £100 at the moment) would pay dividends in quality, flexibility, up/downloads to GPS gadgets and printing physical maps.

Rob

Peteaud

Veteran
Ride with gps for me.

Also if you use the google maps pull over the orange man and the roads light up blue on the ones they had driven, so only use them.

We have loads of droves round here that are just dirt tracks but show on google maps, they cant be driven, so dont show on the street view.

Born2die

I use map my ride to plan then export the GPX to my phone for nav

OP
OP
H

hedgey

agree - cyclestreets does look good - but tempted to save for a Garmin 810 as well....

D

Deleted member 23692

Another vote for Ride with GPS and their default map. However it does have mapping errors, but no where near as many as Open Street Map or Open Cycle Map have (although they are getting better albeit slowly).

I also use Mapyx Quo (paid for) which uses OS mapping and easily knocks the crap out of anything web based, and Memory Map, Anquet and other standalone consumer PC software.

Ride With GPS for me too. If I'm in new place for the first time and know my OD and I've not got time I'll use cyclestreets but I prefer having the time to use RWGPS, streetview and the ability to route along cycle paths is good and if I download the tcx its really easy to integrate with my garmins.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Another vote for Ride with GPS and their default map. However it does have mapping errors, but no where near as many as Open Street Map or Open Cycle Map have (although they are getting better albeit slowly).

I also use Mapyx Quo (paid for) which uses OS mapping and easily knocks the crap out of anything web based, and Memory Map, Anquet and other standalone consumer PC software.
It's quite handy to devise the route on RideWithGPS, then save the gpx file, and then imprt that file into Mapyx Quo, so you can print off OS maps with your route on. Dead simple and quick.

Incidentally, Quo is a free program, but you pay for the map tiles - which, in the case of the 1:50000 maps are really cheap.

Top Bottom