Best & Worst Buys Of 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
So come along then, what have been your best and worst cycling related buys in 2018?

In bike terms, no doubt my best buy was my slightly early birthday present, the Van Nicholas Yukon which I bought from @vickster . Most of my imperial & metric century rides have been on this bike since March and it now has 2,500 miles on it. Wonderfully comfortable machine.

Worst buy, if I had to chose a bike it would be Optima Lynx recumbent, simply because I've had to do far more work than expected to get it in a decent place to ride, and I've not ridden it much, 1.5 miles to be exact! I don't regret buying it, just need to use it more.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Best buy - Aldi Bikermate Rear Light, only a couple of quid and it is USB rechargable.
Worst buy - Spent about £10 x 4 (£40) on a set of Ultegra brake pads BR-6810 (R55C4) - WHY ???

Slick

Guru
Best buy was a forum recommendation which was a Genesis Datum. Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Don't think I've bought anything particularly poor other than the odd overshoe that melted first time out in the salted roads.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I bought a pair of 105 brakes for my old Dawes bike but then invested in really good replacement brake blocks for the existing single pull brakes, so don't need the new 105s now... any offers?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Best buy: (I didn't buy them this year, but I have only just fitted them to 'winterise' my CAADX!) SKS Longboard mudguards. Very effective at keeping the crud off me and the bike.

Worst buy (for me - I donated it to @colly and he used it instead): Transpennine rail ticket from Scarborough to Leeds to use on the way back from the Leeds-Scarborough forum ride. I couldn't get to Leeds because of a Northern rail strike.

colly

Re member eR
One mans bad buy is anothers best buy.:okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
My best buy of 2018 has to be this; got it on 6th January with a good discount. I must get over the mindset of "mustn't use it in bad weather", as so far it has only covered about 800 miles (of a 3600 mile total)... But soooo smooth to ride.

IMG_20180811_111750.jpg

Worst buy? Probably the "Gore Bike Wear" jacket; overpriced and not any better than any other jacket I've been suckered into buying in the past. It's boil in the bag, just the same as the rest.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My best buy of 2018 has to be this; got it on 6th January with a good discount. I must get over the mindset of "mustn't use it in bad weather", as so far it has only covered about 800 miles (of a 3600 mile total)... But soooo smooth to ride.

View attachment 442348

Worst buy? Probably the "Gore Bike Wear" jacket; overpriced and not any better than any other jacket I've been suckered into buying in the past. It's boil in the bag, just the same as the rest.

Is that Arran?

Slick

Guru

View attachment 442348

I'm a bit the same with my new bike but I have others and it just seems daft to subject them all to everything winter can throw at it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

View attachment 442348

Good looking bike. good view too.

Top Bottom