Best & Worst Buys Of 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was ripped

off or ...
upload_2018-12-12_18-6-24.jpeg

Not quite sure how going down the gym makes you overspend on brakepads.

My worst buy has to be the 11-32 rear cassette (to replace 12-28) I paid good money to an lbs to order in and fit for me prior to going on a cycling holiday involving lots of climbing.

My mate on the the same ratio was doing ok whilst I was struggling like a good un on certain climbs.

Cleaning the bike the other day I got the cassette right clean and shiny like new and lo and behold there stamped on the largest cog is 30 not 32!!! I had never even thought to check at the time you just assume ( obviously incorrectly) that you would get what you ask for. Lbs has now shut down by the way.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Arran is in the background, with Cumbrae in the near distance. Photo was taken near the top of the Fairlie Moor road. Needed an excuse to stop! :heat:

Ah, I thought it was but maybe taken a little further south on the Dalry - Ardrossan road

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My best ‘accessories’ buy has to be the Lezyne 1100i loaded front light I bought from Pro Bike Kit, reduced from around £160 to £50. Super bright and in addition to the built in battery pack it also has a spare plug in battery so 1100 lumens for 3hrs 20 minutes or 240hrs on the lowest 15 lumen setting!
They are so good I ended up buying another one!
They are back in stock now if anyone fancies one;
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...-drive-1100i-loaded-front-light/11509389.html

Last edited:
U

User6179

Worst buy - Spent about £10 x 4 (£40) on a set of Ultegra brake pads BR-6810 (R55C4) - WHY ???

I got the Shimano R55C4s for 50 pence a pad from Rose bikes a while ago, fine in the dry, not so great in the wet.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Worst:

Bought a tubeless tyre and it was already flat!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Best was an Edinburgh Cycles frame brand new for £50 to replace by knackered Holdsworth fixedframe.
Worst, a jacket from Evans Cycles that took 4 months to arrive and when it did was the wrong colour.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
shoot, hardly bought anything. Best: The cycling cap I bought where the elastic still works, worst: the one where the elastic went and it fell off into the middle of the A4147. Snag is they were both the same cap (I liked the colour)

Top Bottom