Best & Worst Buys Of 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Something very sexy about those mud guards. :wub:
Down boy!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Worst buy?
A Brompton.
I sold it.. They are over rated and over priced.

Best buy?
Every year I buy by new pair of cheap woollen gloves for the winter commute. They beat any cycling specific gloves hands down for warmth on a cold commute.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Worst Buy - Lifeline clip on rear light
I've been through two in a year and the clip has broken on both of them.

Best Buy - Knog Plus+ front and rear lights
USB re-chargable with a magnetic bracket - plus they can clip on to just about anything

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
View attachment 442352 My Best Buy was a Specialized Tricross Comp from eBay at the end of April for £127, it has now covered 1900 miles and it has been a joy to ride. No bad buys this year.
£127? Wow!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
£127? Wow!
The strangest thing was when I saw the Tricross on eBay there was a photo of the Specialized folder and paperwork etc. I recognised the original hand written price display card, it was my handwriting from when I worked for specialized in Harrogate. I'd originally sold the bike to the father of the chap that was selling it. Sadly the original owner had died but I remember him well.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Best buy has got to be my early 50th present, my Enigma Etape, never thought I'd spend so much on a bike, but still love it 2500 miles since August.

Worst buy is a 'titanium' bottle cage off the bay, bought to match one I already had, but the ebay one started to rust after just a week :sad:

Best buy was a rear Shimano sprocket for my Alfine + chain and chainring, which solved by skipping chain without having to fix any internals.
Worst buy? Getting a lovely used Trek mixte bike for my wife, that she hardly ever uses. I feel and electric conversion kit approaching.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Best buy was the Giant Contend SL1 Disc - technically bought in 2017, but it's within the last year (just) so I'm having it. Bought as a winter bike but it's simply lovely to ride and gets used far more than intended.
IMG_20171224_104547707.jpg

Worst? A pair of Grib Grab overshoes from Amazon that have all the thermal properties of a paper bag. Or a pair of Polaris bib shorts that fitted perfectly everywhere except around my lower thighs, where they flapped about in the breeze.

steven1988

Veteran
I have also bought myself a new bike this year however my Best buy is a pair of Carbon Tubs for my lads bike, 500 grams lighter than his old wheels and wow what a difference

Top Bottom