"Bet you wish you didn't have to ride home today"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sim2003

"Now you're wishing you got the bus in today"
"I'd hate having to cycle to work"
"Ahh , if i'd have known I'd have given you a lift"
"I bet it takes you ages"

Just a few phrases said to me regularly by co-workers, friends and family. They are all usually kind gestures and not meant in any malice way . They are very amusing mostly however the do get annoying at times .

When I do say "I'm looking forward to my ride home/long ride tomorrow". The look of disbelief at times is quite funny. Its as if I'm just billy bullshitting about any part of cycling being possibly fun.

Anyone else got some little phrases people throw at you daily.

grumpyoldwoman

I get the same phrases said to me too.
My boss looked at me as if I was slightly insane when I told of recent rides like Bristol - Bath and Bath to Bradford on Avon.Her response was ''wouldn't it be quicker to take the train because you can get your bike on easy enough'' She was deadly serious too! Tried to explain the fun aspect and the ''because I can'' part went in one ear and out t'other.Her idea of exercise is (in her words!) lying on the beach lifting a glass of alcohol!

Odd people these ones that don't cycle!

grumpyoldwoman

Is Bradford on Avon to Bath a nice ride? Was tempted to do BoA to Bristol then return on the train after a nice meal. I've walked it before and enjoyed it...

Yes (we did Bath to BoA) but very pot holey! AND every hole was full of water due to the slightly damp weather we've had lately! Going to do it again once the drier weather comes. Quite a busy route with walkers,joggers,dog walkers and fisher people! Probably half term wasn't the best time to do it as we met quite a few families with little cyclists wobbling along.

Yes (we did Bath to BoA) but very pot holey! AND every hole was full of water due to the slightly damp weather we've had lately! Going to do it again once the drier weather comes. Quite a busy route with walkers,joggers,dog walkers and fisher people! Probably half term wasn't the best time to do it as we met quite a few families with little cyclists wobbling along.
Yeah we had the same problem cycling along the coast from Hengistbury to Sandbanks. Pedestrians like to walk X abreast*

*X=Number of pedestrians it takes to match width of path whilst leaving just enough space to make you question whether you can squeeze through.

united4ever

Über Member
ha ha, i used to come out with these lines before i started cycling myself. It really is hard to convey how nice it usually is....even if its cold and wet.

Yeah we had the same problem cycling along the coast from Hengistbury to Sandbanks. Pedestrians like to walk X abreast*

*X=Number of pedestrians it takes to match width of path whilst leaving just enough space to make you question whether you can squeeze through.

Shoulder theorem

Shoulders are like magnets in that they repel

A single pedestrian's shoulders repel from the side of the path, causing them to walk in the middle

With more than one the shoulders not only repel from the path edge, but other shoulders as well. Hence the equidistant spacing across the path.

Back in Melbourne, the guy who used to take the lift down 2 floors when he went for a smoke asked me on a day of maximum temperatures in the 40s, "I bet you didn't ride in today". "No, I ran to work today"

(it was only 5km, so cycling was never a problem even on hot days. And the mornings wouldn't be much over 20C or so. I would have caught the tram back that day)

Top Bottom