Better design of HGVs is key to improving safety for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I assume the mods didn't like it?
I'm not in the know about what happened to that old thread, wasn't a CC member then.
If you want to know more about the topic, David Brennan aka Magnatom, has a (bit scary) YouTube channel, where he documents his daily bike commute from Torrance to Glasgow city centre.
He is also a convenor for GoBike, and is one of the Pedal on Parliament founders.

Slick

Guru
I'm not in the know about what happened to that old thread, wasn't a CC member then.
If you want to know more about the topic, David Brennan aka Magnatom, has a (bit scary) YouTube channel, where he documents his daily bike commute from Torrance to Glasgow city centre.
He is also a convenor for GoBike, and is one of the Pedal on Parliament founders.
I think I got my answer Pat, thanks. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
And the Glasgow Cycling Forum.

byegad

Legendary Member
Popped in for the first time in a few months to see what's going on and it's sad to see there's still people posting this shite.

I never filter up the inside of a lorry. I rarely see people do. I cycle a lot mpore in London than you do. Yet we often find ourselves on the left of a slow moving or stationary lorry. Care to guess why that might be? I'll give you a clue...it's not magic, but crappy driving from lorry drivers.
You would cycle more than me in London, but....
1. I do see cyclists undertaking at lights and junctions.
2. If you have to resort to calling my post shite, I must be winning.

You would cycle more than me in London, but....
1. I do see cyclists undertaking at lights and junctions.
2. If you have to resort to calling my post shite, I must be winning.
Imagine a cyclist is waiting at the lights in, say a bike lane with nothing to their right, an empty space. Then imagine a lorry approaches the lights. Have you ever ever ever seen that lorry stop with a car space in front of it...or does every single last one stop behind the car in front, thus placing the cyclist in the danger blind spot zone?

I’ve been driving for many many years and never seen a lorry avoid putting cyclists in danger given such a scenario.

The safe thing to do if for the cyclist to own the lane even when there’s a cycle lane, at which point you get the lorry driver shouting at the cyclist, or worst still, forgetting they are there and driving over them. As has happened many times. And the lorry driver doesn’t go to prison.

So, yes, some cyclists are silly. But most situations of cyclists being in danger zones from what I’ve ever seen is by ignorant driving.

And I won’t do name calling if you stop posting inaccurate victim-blaming shite.

classic33

Leg End Member
Imagine a cyclist is waiting at the lights in, say a bike lane with nothing to their right, an empty space. Then imagine a lorry approaches the lights. Have you ever ever ever seen that lorry stop with a car space in front of it...or does every single last one stop behind the car in front, thus placing the cyclist in the danger blind spot zone?

I’ve been driving for many many years and never seen a lorry avoid putting cyclists in danger given such a scenario.

The safe thing to do if for the cyclist to own the lane even when there’s a cycle lane, at which point you get the lorry driver shouting at the cyclist, or worst still, forgetting they are there and driving over them. As has happened many times. And the lorry driver doesn’t go to prison.

So, yes, some cyclists are silly. But most situations of cyclists being in danger zones from what I’ve ever seen is by ignorant driving.

And I won’t do name calling if you stop posting inaccurate victim-blaming shite.
If I feel a particular junction may be dangerous, I'll ignore any cycle lane markings and claim the lane.

Not always appreciated, but if it improves my safety then it's tough luck for anything behind me. At one junction, in the early hours on a Sunday, I upset a skip lorry driver by not going through a red light(nothing else on the road, five way, junction of two "A" roads and unsighted to the left). Ignored the repeated use of the horn, leaving him to go round me on red.

There's a well known haulage company, red lorries, who's attitudes to other road users is well known within the industry. In recent years they've switched to the southern route, having upset more than a few up here. I see one of theirs, I'm wary.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Good to see you back

simongt

Guru
Along with teaching cyclists that if they intentionally put themselves in a blindspot don't be surprised if the drivers doesn't see you
Agree on that point Phaeton. Having been an HGV driver for about 16 years, I make these two observations; yes, some dickhead cyclists come right up on the inside expecting you to be able to see them and secondly, in order to observe all the multi mirrors on an HVG requires a wide turn of the driver's head, not a quick glance at one or two.
Basic & obvious rule for cyclists; if its bigger than you, for the sake of a few seconds, let it move on first.

D

Deleted member 26715

Because there are rarely gaps longer than a few seconds between vehicles bigger than you. If you're going to have to wait for all of them, you're going to get nowhere fast.
I didn't read his comments that way, I read he was suggesting that you allow the vehicle at the side to move first so you know where it's going rather than racing it off from the grand prix start.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I didn't read his comments that way, I read he was suggesting that you allow the vehicle at the side to move first so you know where it's going rather than racing it off from the grand prix start.
OK, so you'd only be stuck at junctions? Once the vehicle at the side moves, the one behind it will follow and also be bigger than you, then the one behind that...

Top Bottom