Better design of HGVs is key to improving safety for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Sorry, but that's just not how it works.

How does it work then ?

Sorry, but that's just not how it works.

Sadly, no. Presumed Liability also has other side effects: I think the reason trucks have all these mirrors on trucks in Germany is because of this: the trucker can say 'I dodn't see him" but knows the police will demand to know why not and "Because I didn't have a mirror there" isn't a permitted answer, so there's ore pressure from insurers to make sure trucks are safer because it's costing them money.

It is also why the German 'Play Streets' and 'Bicycle streets' have a chance of working, because in the event of a motor vehicle vs. Child/cyclist collision, the driver knows he can't just bluff it out with "They ran in front of me" or "He came out of nowhere" when the police turn up, so drivers are generally slower on play streets (although frequently not the legal 7km/h) and more aware around bikes on cycle streets.

Slick

Guru
Sadly, no. Presumed Liability also has other side effects: I think the reason trucks have all these mirrors on trucks in Germany is because of this: the trucker can say 'I dodn't see him" but knows the police will demand to know why not and "Because I didn't have a mirror there" isn't a permitted answer, so there's ore pressure from insurers to make sure trucks are safer because it's costing them money.

It is also why the German 'Play Streets' and 'Bicycle streets' have a chance of working, because in the event of a motor vehicle vs. Child/cyclist collision, the driver knows he can't just bluff it out with "They ran in front of me" or "He came out of nowhere" when the police turn up, so drivers are generally slower on play streets (although frequently not the legal 7km/h) and more aware around bikes on cycle streets.
Has a German truck really got more mirrors installed than a Scottish truck?
Do you know how many cyclists and pedestrians were killed in Germany last year?
No particular reason for asking other than my own curiosity.

Has a German truck really got more mirrors installed than a Scottish truck?
Do you know how many cyclists and pedestrians were killed in Germany last year?
No particular reason for asking other than my own curiosity.

I was going off the comment ade earlier that a lot of trucks 'don't' have the mirrors described, whereas German trucks do.
Last I checked the figure was astronomical: I worked out that it was something like 11 people a day killed by motor vehicles although it wasn't just pedestrians/cyclists. I'll try to remember to look when I have energy. PL isn't a silver bullet, just a useful legal assistance when you're on roads.

Smudge

Veteran
I'm honestly not looking for an argument or anything else, but I would ask you to research what happens to a driver involved with killing a cyclist.

Well obviously i cant research every single incident of that that has ever happened. But in those incidences, just saying i didn't see the cyclist is not a sure fire defence to get off.
Its not really a defence at all without other mitigating circumstances.
If i were to drive my car into a cyclist and kill them, its highly likely i'll be charged with some sort of driving offence, from driving with undue care and attention to causing death by dangerous driving. So i turn up at court and my only defence is.... 'well i didn't see them'...Would this be guaranteed to to only get a light sentence or let off ?
I dont think so.

Slick

Guru
Well obviously i cant research every single incident of that that has ever happened. But in those incidences, just saying i didn't see the cyclist is not a sure fire defence to get off.
Its not really a defence at all without other mitigating circumstances.
If i were to drive my car into a cyclist and kill them, its highly likely i'll be charged with some sort of driving offence, from driving with undue care and attention to causing death by dangerous driving. So i turn up at court and my only defence is.... 'well i didn't see them'...Would this be guaranteed to to only get a light sentence or let off ?
I dont think so.
Okay. :thumbsup:

It is already being discussed here and you don't have to research every one but have a look as you might be surprised.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/six-in-seven-drivers-involved-in-cyclists-death-avoid-jail.242082/

Top Bottom