Six in seven drivers involved in cyclist's death avoid jail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I know it's all down the system and the guidelines and not every case is clear cut. But really if anything it add's to the need to show it's long over due overhaul.

https://road.cc/content/news/251244...shes-resulting-cyclists-death-avoid-jail-says

The other thing to note is 20 police forces replied to say that they did not possess the relevant information and 12 did not reply at all.

It's probably a similar figure for pedestrians and other deaths on the road which also must show change is needed.

Im amazed its as high as 1 in 7 that do time :-/

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
"Cycling UK accepts a prison sentence isn’t always the answer and we want to see far greater use of driving disqualification. Drivers who pose a risk have no place on our roads, and the law should be strengthened to ensure their removal."

Isn't disqualification already mandatory if found guilty of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving?

Now there's an emotive headline.

How do we define 'involved'?

What if, for example, a cyclist pulls out of a junction, ignoring red lights or give way signs, straight into a passing vehicle?

What if a driver witnesses an accident, stops, makes a well meaning but very poor attempt at first aid, and despite their best efforts, the cyclist dies? Is that driver involved in the cyclist's death?

What if the cyclist is weaving about, no handy, dressed in black, at night, in the rain, on the wrong side of the road, on a blind bend?

And most drivers don't give a crap when they smash up cyclists, nor does the legal system. Gutter trash we are.
I'm a motorist. I've never smashed up a cyclist yet thankfully. But I can absolutely guarantee that not only would I 'give a crap', I'd be absolutely devastated. I think the same is true of 'most motorists' who are in fact actually also people. Are you a motorist? How would you feel if you hurt or killed someone by accident?

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm a motorist. I've never smashed up a cyclist yet thankfully. But I can absolutely guarantee that not only would I 'give a crap', I'd be absolutely devastated. I think the same is true of 'most motorists' who are in fact actually also people. Are you a motorist? How would you feel if you hurt or killed someone by accident?
I'm not a "motorist" or a driver. But when T-boned by the driver of one car a few years a few years ago, I'd have happily floored him had he come any closer. Being in the centre of the road and unable to move, plus me screaming at him to stay away from me stopped me.

As for being involved in an accident. I've been involved in a number. Nearly all helping out after the fact.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I am a motorist, been driving 30 years, and never injured anyone yet. That driver that broke my back didn't give a fark !

fossyant

Oh, and the lady that ran over me on a roundabout, wouldn't even get out of her car, despite me lying in the middle of a bust intersection.

The guy that hit and ran, left me in the road, with my bike wrapped round scaffolding, he didn't give a fart.

The guy that clipped me from behind, breaking my ribs, and also knocking over another cyclist, he didn't care. Drove off, to leave me being sued by the other cyclist for something that wasn't my fault.

Every time I've been hit, the drivers don't give a fart.

fossyant

Anf, as a cyclist, and a caring person, you do care. I'm yet to meet anyone that's injured me that shows the slightest care in the world.

Top Bottom