Better off without a cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

....was only a mile into a ride today on a main road with a cycle lane. It's a fairly short stretch of cycle lane and because there's loads of shite in it I usually don't move over into it. However, I'm usually out early so there's not much traffic around. Out later in the morning today, I get a toot from behind. I move over slightly but see there's loads of glass in the cycle lane so don't go over any further. This farmer in a land rover towing a long trailer then passes and despite having room to the right moves me right into the gutter by keeping v.tight to me. At the next lights I pull up and shout through his open window that I couldn't move over because of the glass. I can understand his frustration at the time (but not his action) as I can see why motorists may get miffed at me for not using the lane not appreciative of the mess in the gutter that we see up close. However, despite my explanation, his reaction was a smug grin and dismissive nod of the head. At that point I thanked him for trying to force me off my bike and cycled off. He had a young lad with him which made me hold back a bit on the verbals.

Thankfully for the rest of my ride much of which was through some really narrow, twisty lanes, there was lots a good gestured driving towards me and appreciative thanks when I made way when cars got stuck behind me for a long stretch. The incident above made we wonder if the cycling on that road would be safer without the cycle lane.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
The scouring action of vehicle tyres make the road surface a cleaner place, unfortunately the addition of a cycle lane on the side leads to an accumulation of detritis hazardous to cycles. So, Yes ! it was better before they put cycle lanes on the roadside.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I just wish they wouldn't provide us with a nice colourful lane to travel in then fill it with sunken drains
angry.gif

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
....was only a mile into a ride today on a main road with a cycle lane. It's a fairly short stretch of cycle lane and because there's loads of shite in it I usually don't move over into it. However, I'm usually out early so there's not much traffic around. Out later in the morning today, I get a toot from behind. I move over slightly but see there's loads of glass in the cycle lane so don't go over any further. This farmer in a land rover towing a long trailer then passes and despite having room to the right moves me right into the gutter by keeping v.tight to me. At the next lights I pull up and shout through his open window that I couldn't move over because of the glass. I can understand his frustration at the time (but not his action) as I can see why motorists may get miffed at me for not using the lane not appreciative of the mess in the gutter that we see up close. However, despite my explanation, his reaction was a smug grin and dismissive nod of the head. At that point I thanked him for trying to force me off my bike and cycled off. He had a young lad with him which made me hold back a bit on the verbals.

Thankfully for the rest of my ride much of which was through some really narrow, twisty lanes, there was lots a good gestured driving towards me and appreciative thanks when I made way when cars got stuck behind me for a long stretch. The incident above made we wonder if the cycling on that road would be safer without the cycle lane.

Instead of moving towards the cycle lane/gutter, look back, smile, move towards primary, and wave a thank you for letting you cycle away from the crap in the gutter when they toot you. It always confuses them :whistle:

Top Bottom