Betting odds.......please explain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have never gambled but I fancy a flutter on the Champions League final**.
However the odds (to me) seem.....not worth the effort BUT.....I dont understand "odds"
If I want a simple bet on who will win then
Real Madrid are listed 3/4 while Liverpool are 4/3.
So.....if ie I put £100 on Liverpool to win......and they did......how much would I get back?
Conversley £100 on RM to win.
** when my F.I.L was alive we would go to the matches together. The final is May 26th as was his birthday. Thought a flutter in his memory would be nice as I really loved the guy

Last edited:

sight-pin

Veteran
At them odds i wouldn't bother. ie: Liverpool you have to put 3 on to win 4 and Madrid 4 on to win 3.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At them odds i wouldn't bother. ie: Liverpool you have to put 3 on to win 4 and Madrid 4 on to win 3.
Actually those odds are quite attractive

Liverpool win, you get £233, Real win you get £175. So if you bet on both you stake £200 and average return is £204

Having checked, the reason is that 3/4 Real is available with one bookmaker, 4/3 Liverpool with a different bookmaker. So you'd have to place your Real bet and Liverpool bet separately

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Liverpool win, you get £233, Real win you get £175. So if you bet on both you stake £200 and average return is £204

Having checked, the reason is that 3/4 Real is available with one bookmaker, 4/3 Liverpool with a different bookmaker. So you'd have to place your Real bet and Liverpool bet separately
You are forgetting the draw option, are those bets the result after 90 mins?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Ah, but what if there's a draw ? Then you're down £204 presumably, and I reckon there'll be a draw more than 2% of the time

postman

Legendary Member
My dad liked a bet on a Saturday afternoon,this was back in the early 60's.When Grandstand on BBC covered horse racing.He would study the form in the morning paper,go in to town and lay 5/- five shillings on his bets.He would then spend the afternoon watching his choices win or lose.Then at tea time he would go for his winnings and then buy cheap food from Leeds Market as the stall holders were giving away carrier bags of stuff meat veg so on at discount prices.That's how it was in those days.
So one Saturday i decided to have a bet.3d on a horse named Blue Dolphin a jumper,well it won my winnings were 9d.I thought i could not afford to lose the 3d for such a measly win,that bet made me a non gambler.Can't afford to lose it then don't bet.Never have,i never even got the Lottery bug.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I only ever bet sums I can easily afford to lose.

Which is just as well as I can't remember the last time I came out of the bookies with a fistful of cash. I've had plenty of winners, but as I mostly do a double on a Saturday just the one ain't enough.

Keeps me amused watching the racing though, and a man's gotta have a hobby.

Top Bottom