Between sizes - which way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stef 1

I cycle all year, but each year for a couple of months I seem to get a bike bug and start looking at upgrade or n+1 possibilities for a road bike.

I was originally looking at a new groupsets this year (probably 105 7020) as my 6 year-old Tiagra needs new crank, chain and BB and cables, any my single calliper mechnaical disc brakes are okay at best... seems like a good point to upgrade. There are some good deals on new group sets at the moment, but for past couple of days have been looking on e-bay etc for used frames complete with groupset.

I love my current steel steed, it's done me well for years, but it's heavy and I have enough bits 'n bobs, that with a new (used carbon frame) I could turn my steel bike into a winter or gravel(ish) type bike and build a lighter faster road bike for fair weather.

There's a Specialized Roubaix frame with 105 7020 I've got my eye on (if a deal can be made)... thing is it's a 56cm frame with a suggested max height 5'11''. The 58cm frame has a min suggested height of 5'11''.

I'm bang on 5'11'' which places me right between the two.

I know sensible thing to do would be to find a store, get fitted have a test ride etc... but generally, in this situation, which is better?? possibly ever-so-slightly too small, or possibly ever-so-slightly too big?

Thanks

Drago

Legendary Member
Whichever feels the most comfortable.

Broadside

Guru
I’m 5’11” and three quarters and always find 56cm Specialized frames are the best fit for me, 58cm feels too big. I’ve had five 56cm Specialized frame bikes over the last 10 years, all fitted me nicely.

The only way is to try one out but at 5’11” I wouldn’t be considering a 58cm frame.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I cycle all year, but each year for a couple of months I seem to get a bike bug and start looking at upgrade or n+1 possibilities for a road bike.

I was originally looking at a new groupsets this year (probably 105 7020) as my 6 year-old Tiagra needs new crank, chain and BB and cables, any my single calliper mechnaical disc brakes are okay at best... seems like a good point to upgrade. There are some good deals on new group sets at the moment, but for past couple of days have been looking on e-bay etc for used frames complete with groupset.

I love my current steel steed, it's done me well for years, but it's heavy and I have enough bits 'n bobs, that with a new (used carbon frame) I could turn my steel bike into a winter or gravel(ish) type bike and build a lighter faster road bike for fair weather.

There's a Specialized Roubaix frame with 105 7020 I've got my eye on (if a deal can be made)... thing is it's a 56cm frame with a suggested max height 5'11''. The 58cm frame has a min suggested height of 5'11''.

I'm bang on 5'11'' which places me right between the two.

I know sensible thing to do would be to find a store, get fitted have a test ride etc... but generally, in this situation, which is better?? possibly ever-so-slightly too small, or possibly ever-so-slightly too big?

Thanks
Does depend on manufacturer,

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Funny enough, I am 5'7 and my 56 frame specialized roubaix fits me perfectly.

Top Bottom