Between these two...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
..aside from instantly criticising my choice, and apart from one being 16 spd and one being 24, is there a difference between these two? I'm not sure how many times I'm going to be 'granny-ing' on 1-1 with a 24 spd tbh, so is it just worth paying the £10 less, or have I missed something between the two bikes?

16spd

24spd

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Peronally, I'd go 24 speed. You never know where you'll end-up riding (there are hills to be had in and around London and the home counties), and there is no great weight disadvantage for having the extra ring to be honest. For £10 it's worth it.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
That's true, spose more is generally better ('cept for you fixers) even if I don't use it...also think I prefer that chromed look to the red/white, tho it's a close ish call...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Interesting link Radius. Let us know how you get on with it please. Might be interesting in getting one of these.

Cheers
SD

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Sittingduck, will do if I remember, likely to be on the Christmas list :sad:

Willow, something wrong with the colour? :biggrin:

marko1975

I have a 21 speed viking wouldnt be without the extra gears, never thought I would use all of them, I do tend to use a lot of gears as I used ride a mountain bike prior to my road bike, so i am still using a lot of gears as I am still in the transitional stage.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Interesting. I'm coming from a hybrid so I have a fair few gears, although I don't go down to the bottom terribly often (or at all...). Marko, what bike do you have?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Radius said:
Interesting. I'm coming from a hybrid so I have a fair few gears, although I don't go down to the bottom terribly often (or at all...). Marko, what bike do you have?

The number of gears is not as important as the gear range.

A hybrid will typically have lower gearing that a road bike because:

1 The front chain rings have fewer teeth typicall 22/34/44 as opposed to 30/42/52
2 The rear cassette has more teeth on each sprocket 11-32/34 as oppossed to 12-23

Randochap

Senior hunter
Purpose?

What do you plan to use the bike for; Road, Rides, Audax, or Sportives?

The Claud Butler Criterium is a ... criterium bike, advertised as "short stays." Not a good bike for long distance.

Notice the 24 sp. has "mudguard clearance" -- a nice feature. Plus, as said above, lower gearing, I presume as well.

Another vote for the 24 sp.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Well to be perfectly honest, as it is a first road bike, I don't know what I'll be using it for...probably not many events in the near future, just rides / maybe sportive, but I seriously haven't thought about those at all yet.
My totally uninformed thinking said I had heard good things about Claud Butler, but nothing about Viking, and that's what led me to think perhaps it was a better way to go...

Randochap

Senior hunter
Different bikes for different uses

Radius said:
I had heard good things about Claud Butler, but nothing about Viking, and that's what led me to think perhaps it was a better way to go...

Well, Claud Butler is definately a marque with a proud history. When i was a lad in the UK, I would have given my eye teeth. However -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- the name is simply another brand these days.

Before you go spending a chunk of change, I would reiterate that you should decide what you are going to use the bike for and buy accordingly.

You will, however, definitely get what you pay for in most cases.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Randochap said:
Well, Claud Butler is definately a marque with a proud history. When i was a lad in the UK, I would have given my eye teeth. However -- someone correct me if I'm wrong -- the name is simply another brand these days.

As is so often the case with lots of things nowadays...

Before you go spending a chunk of change, I would reiterate that you should decide what you are going to use the bike for and buy accordingly.

Like I said, not really sure, but in my price range - as far as I'm aware - the differences in components aren't that big anyway, and especially between the two bikes I'm considering (although one is 24 speed admittedly).

You will, however, definitely get what you pay for in most cases.
I know that, but that doesn't mean to say cheap things can't do the job / be quite good...

Top Bottom