Beware of bungee cords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yesterday one end of a bungee cord on my pannier came loose and hooked itself into my rear wheel. Fortunately it was fairly old so it just snapped and wrapped itself around the axle. If it had jammed the wheel I'd have probably had a nasty accident. I was going downhill in traffic at the time.

Yep, there are far better alternatives.
Glad you survived.
At least that's one bungee that won't be taking your eye out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Even hookless, you get a few years of use out of bungees before the elastic gives up (either stretches a bit or simply snaps inside the fabric), which if you're unlucky will then exceed the capacity of the remaining bungees and dump your load on the road. I think there's a good argument that a bungeed load is an insecure load.

Good cam-buckle straps or Arno straps are versatile and will keep going for years before clamp or strap wear loose and even then you just replace the worn bit. I've lost more through forgetfulness than have failed. Oh and the loose end of one once started flapping and trailed along the road for long enough to fray it, so I cut it short and re-melted the end with a match.

[Aussies call them Octopus Straps:]
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9397041/

Abstract
"Octopus" elasticated straps are a common cause of severe accidental eye injuries, which we believe are largely preventable. In a retrospective study (January 1990 to August 1996), we identified 42 patients with such injuries severe enough to warrant admission to hospital. The injuries included hyphaema, vitreous haemorrhage, retinal detachment, and choroid and globe rupture, with 28% (12/42) of the injuries resulting in permanent visual loss. We believe octopus straps should not be available for sale in their current form.

mjr

Yes, if you must use bungees (they can be good for keeping boxes shut when the shape is awkward to strap) then go for hookless, ball, or carabiner ends. Hooks are notorious for bruises and stab wounds, not only to eyes. I seriously do not understand the continued popularity for hook-ended bungees. Decent ones are not much cheaper in shops than straps, so maybe they are more profitable?

mjr

As it happens, I plan to collect a full-length mudguard tonight using a rack-equipped* velocipede:
how would the panel recommend I safely attach it? (also have panniers)

*it is also equipped with 2 mudguards. Sorry.
Stick most of it in one pannier and strap the protruding end to the other?

I'd probably strap it across the front of the handlebars so I could see the unwieldy devious thing, but my handlebars are unusually curved. :smile:

For long floppy loads I like to use a support beam. You can use plywood, corrugated plastic For Sale signs or anything handy.
Strap, wire or zip tie the beam to your bike and strap the long floppy bits to the beam using bungie chords, old inner tubes etc.
I have used beams both across the width of the eack ( for bags of plaster) and along ( for shed gutter parts).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As it happens, I plan to collect a full-length mudguard tonight using a rack-equipped* velocipede:
how would the panel recommend I safely attach it? (also have panniers)

*it is also equipped with 2 mudguards. Sorry.

bungy the ends together and wear the mudguard casually thrown diagonally across your shoulder.

Reactions: C R
If you keep a beam with some wire prepared you can pop it on the rack in 30 seconds. Next to a trailer it is one of the most useful load carrying devices and much cheaper.

Top Bottom