Beware the rogue bicycles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got as far as "Yet Brussels is now proposing to make motorists responsible for all accidents involving cyclists, irrespective of who was actually in the wrong." before remembering why I don't read the DM.

2Loose said:
I got as far as "Yet Brussels is now proposing to make motorists responsible for all accidents involving cyclists, irrespective of who was actually in the wrong." before remembering why I don't read the DM.

I don't need artificial memory stimulus to remember that.;)

postman

Legendary Member
Got my blood up .What a load of crap .
Should have said people who ride bicycles .And the crap about tests and insurance .Yeah right .Just like all the motorists on the road .

I would like to invite her to breakfast .So i could stand her near Stonegate Road .Watching the motorists who drive down it God we have some numpties around here .

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
User3143 said:
She comments on cyclists do this and that etc, yet she went and bought a Pashley, in reality was some stupid pink bike with a wicker basket on it (why I don't know and no disrespect to Pashley) and she couldn't even ride it!!

A friend has a Pashley Poppy and I've tried it. They're really stable and she commutes on in occasionally with no problem whatsoever (it's more of a weekend bike).

Women like her do the rest of us a massive disservice. What a nob.

Bman

Guru
Indeed. Utter crap.

I have a horrible feeling that most people that read that article, will believe it. Especially the bit about Brussels' proposal to change default liability; I would have hoped, wrongly informing the public about potential new laws should be illegal!

Downward

Guru
Pretty sure I am more worried about being knocked over by a car. Maybe put her energy into sorting out the stolen cars, people with no insurance, people with no license, no tax, no mot etc etc.

You don't get people saying ban cars when someone is killed by one of the above, its never the cars fault and it's never the bikes fault.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Could we not ban stupid journalists while we're just banning cursory things?

It really does show that people who are connected/wealthy can get a job doing anything without a talent to show for it. Embarrassing that such rubbish can be published as newsworthy.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Typical DM rubbish, although I'm annoyed that the cyclist didn't stop. I suppose it does however show the mindset of a person who regards Boris as normally sensible.;)

This is the third time in two months that someone I know has been hit by a bicycle

I can't be the only person who thought that that person should look out for bikes a bit more :ohmy:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yeah i do agree that the cyclist IF he sped off and if being the main word should have stopped, but I can't take any of the reportage seriously as even if it's just an opinion piece it lacks any real substance or intelligence to be worth much. Shame many won't think twice about the multitude of foundless assertions.

There are so many talented writers and journalists trying to get on the pages..and then you get this crap excuse for rent-a-opinion...

zizou

Veteran
"This is even more of an injustice given the way many cyclists ignore the Highway Code, thus putting themselves at risk just as much as peestrians. Some of them ride on the pavement and on the wrong side of the street. Others fail to signal, overtake on the inside and ignore red traffic lights. They either don't have lights or omit to turn them on after dark."

then she goes on to this

"As I wobbled along London's roads, nearly hitting every pedestrian and car, riding the wrong way up one-way streets."

Crankarm

Guru
zizou said:
"This is even more of an injustice given the way many cyclists ignore the Highway Code, thus putting themselves at risk just as much as peestrians. Some of them ride on the pavement and on the wrong side of the street. Others fail to signal, overtake on the inside and ignore red traffic lights. They either don't have lights or omit to turn them on after dark."

then she goes on to this

"As I wobbled along London's roads, nearly hitting every pedestrian and car, riding the wrong way up one-way streets."

With the name Petronella Wyatt one wouldn't expect her to be anything other than an air head ;).

tightwad

So this coffin dodger who got knocked down didn't spot the bike coming but did notice it had no lights working. Utter shite -move on nothing to see.

It was one of the most ridiculously slanted and biased pieces of jounralism I've ever encountered. I only read to the end to see if she'd redeem herself (she didn't). She admitted turning into a foul-mouthed loon when riding the bike and partaking in all sorts of bad practice, surely this makes her as bad as the ninja who knocked her mum over?

stowie

Legendary Member
Another hilarious piece of sh!t journalism from the Daily Wail.

It is bad news that her mother got run over by a cyclist, and obviously one hopes for a speedy recovery. But the article is just insane. At one point she is talking about muggers on bicycles, as if the bicycle is a bad idea because some criminals use it as transportation. I mean, the car has traditionally been used in bank raids, or the transit in ram-raiding, and yet, I haven't heard calls for cars and vans to be banned as a result.

She also quotes from a TRL survey that 50% of cycle accidents are the cyclist's fault, neatly neglecting to say that the number includes children's cycling accidents, and if these are excluded, then the % of cycle accidents that are the cyclists fault drops to between 17%-25% (ref : http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study). And of course she perpetuates the myth about culpability in road accidents, when this is not law in the UK, and even if it was, it would refer to the civil insurance proceedings, and not criminal liability.

Finally, she seems to turn into exactly the cyclist she hates when she tried it, and gave up, assuming that our urban cities are "unsuited" to cycling. Of course, it never occurred to her that our cities really should be suited to cycling, and that places such as Holland didn't magically become cycling cities by the cycling pixies sprinkling cycle friendly infrastructure over the land one night.

I realise that I have spent 5 minutes analysing her article when it could be summed up in one work. Idiotic.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
stowie said:
Another hilarious piece of sh!t journalism from the Daily Wail.

It is bad news that her mother got run over by a cyclist, and obviously one hopes for a speedy recovery. But the article is just insane. At one point she is talking about muggers on bicycles, as if the bicycle is a bad idea because some criminals use it as transportation. I mean, the car has traditionally been used in bank raids, or the transit in ram-raiding, and yet, I haven't heard calls for cars and vans to be banned as a result.

She also quotes from a TRL survey that 50% of cycle accidents are the cyclist's fault, neatly neglecting to say that the number includes children's cycling accidents, and if these are excluded, then the % of cycle accidents that are the cyclists fault drops to between 17%-25% (ref : http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study). And of course she perpetuates the myth about culpability in road accidents, when this is not law in the UK, and even if it was, it would refer to the civil insurance proceedings, and not criminal liability.

Finally, she seems to turn into exactly the cyclist she hates when she tried it, and gave up, assuming that our urban cities are "unsuited" to cycling. Of course, it never occurred to her that our cities really should be suited to cycling, and that places such as Holland didn't magically become cycling cities by the cycling pixies sprinkling cycle friendly infrastructure over the land one night.

I realise that I have spent 5 minutes analysing her article when it could be summed up in one work. Idiotic.

Saw the article last night and was going to mention it myself. I'm glad someone else already saw the misquoted TRL study - tried to point this out in the comments but it seems the webteam arent up for the true figures in the study to be published, makes me wonder... :biggrin:

Incidentally. Had a "complaint" upheld against me on the comments before when BNP supported started leaving comments on a previous story. Interesting how I only asked "what the hell have the BNP got to do with the death of a young girl?" It appears I've been formally warned.

I really do feel the DM team are pushing for the removal of cycles from our streets. Constant anticyclist articles and columns, misquoted studies, stories that defy logic.. add to that they keep running "positive" cycling articles - but these are always off road or abroad - never on our roads in the UK.

Top Bottom