Beware the rogue bicycles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the arguments is that bicycles have become the "favoured tool of muggers"

Cars have been the favoured tool of ramraiders, bank robers and jewel thieves as well as drive-by *shootings for years... but why let facts get in the way of a biassed ill informed rant.....

Perhaps she should go and shack up with James Martin

(* I know there have been cycle-by shootings as well)

stowie

Legendary Member
I enjoyed the comment that our narrow urban streets are unsuited to bicycles. Of course, one can fit cars, vans, lorries and an assortment of different types of bus on the streets, but a space hogging bicycle? Well that is just a step too far!

Besides, when I go to Holland, I don't see too many wide boulevards, yet they seem to have implemented an entire cycling structure in their cities.

Bandini

Cycling through town today I had to swerve to avoid an old lady who just crossed the road in a ridiculous place. Earlier on, another pensioner had her whole car in the road, and I had to break, as it was a dual carriage way going in to town and I would have got wiped up. Driving home this afternoon I was behind an old lady traveling at 30 in a 40 zone who moved right to the middle of the road at the site of any pedestrian, and slowed down whenever a car came the other way. She then braked hard when she came to..a slip road and didn't actually bother using the skip road as it should be used. I don't think there will be an article in The Mail about the kind of bad road use/pedestrian skills of the elderly. Still, shoot not to have stopped.But then I don't believe anything I read in that filthy rag.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
why does anyone care what some dozy bint says in the DM? or what the readers of said rag think?

On the principal of strict liability the cyclist carries the can in any bike vs ped incident.

StuartG

slower but further
GregCollins said:
why does anyone care what some dozy bint says in the DM? or what the readers of said rag think?
What the DM invents today is quoted as gospel tomorrow by many middle england voters. You think that doesn't influence town planners, politicians ... and many on four wheels who could make your cycling experience a great deal worse?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
StuartG said:
What the DM invents today is quoted as gospel tomorrow by many middle england voters. You think that doesn't influence town planners, politicians ... and many on four wheels who could make your cycling experience a great deal worse?

All so more worringly DM journos have links with those very politicians and the elite that have a finger in the pie.

If reportage is to be taken seriously then it should at least follow a benchmark of accuracy- a lot of people will read and not think twice about the poorly constructed propaganda and take it as given.

If the same kind of substandard writing was carried out on say a taboo subject such as racism, your feelings may be different. Though the DM is known for veiled racism esp around immigation issues.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
They have a massive readership for a national paper, and iirc only The Sun has more. Could be wrong on that, but the point is someone stupid and looking for a scapegoat or someone to bully reads that and in their mind its justified when they clip your handlebars because we run down grannies.

I dont care if the article is supposed to be ironic, these people who go mental at cyclists will be looking at it going "FFS someone has to do something to scare them off the road, they dont deserve to be there"

And as already said, they have a lot of connections with councils and politicians, even public servants of other capacities. Why should they put in cycle parkin? ...it'll just encourage us to ride on the pavement. Why should the Police deal with Mr Angryman in his car who has cut us up and shouted abuse? After all we probably hit their car and flicked them off.

Dont underestimate the Mail's reach.

dav1d

She admits to nearly crashing into cars, riding the wrong way down one way streets, yet she moans about "cyclists" just like her. It could quite easily have been her who had knocked her mother or any other frail person down.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
First of all best wishes to Lady Wyatt for a speedy recovery.

OTOH if la Wyatt were not (a) the daughter of the "voice of reason"* and (:tongue: Bojo's one time fu*k buddy she'd never have got within a country mile of a Wail column.

*former MP, chair of the Tote and later peer Lord (woodrow) Wyatt of Weeford

Tubbs

dav1d said:
She admits to nearly crashing into cars, riding the wrong way down one way streets, yet she moans about "cyclists" just like her. It could quite easily have been her who had knocked her mother or any other frail person down.

Apparently, her mother was the one who reported her affair with Boris Johnson to the Press. Nice one mum!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Tubbs said:
Apparently, her mother was the one who reported her affair with Boris Johnson to the Press. Nice one mum!

In that case, we probably won't have to look too hard for the cyclist who knocked her over. :tongue:

Top Bottom