BHF London 2 Brighton Night Ride 26/27 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
I am indeed very sorry for this crude Judeo-Christianic iconnery.

Have you thought of stabilising the beast with a couple of lorry-grade 12 volt batteries on outriggers? You should get a good dynamo charge on the descent without decreasing your top speed noticeably. Enough to stream the results in case your GPS should not complete the descent. With no wifi there is the issue of consistent 3G coverage. Under the circumstances I would recommend PAYG rather than contract ...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Enough to stream the results in case your GPS should not complete the descent.
Good thought. Perhaps switch on Find My Friends on my iPhone, so that people will have some clue as to the final resting place of at least some of the debris.

Under the circumstances I would recommend PAYG rather than contract ...
^_^

Mickthemove

Über Member
Signed up for this in a fit of pique earlier in the year! Been training for the last month, and hope its good as after reading all the posts about the cost etc and the fnrttc I can see why people shun them. One thing it has done is get me back into cycling to wich my waistline and heart will hopefully be gratefull ! We are leaving at 10 and will look like a bulesha beacon with the amount of lights and reflective gear I have planned! Luther, if you see a fat bloke lit up like a Christmas tree panting at the side of the road that will be me!

CopperBrompton

It's a lovely ride. It's worth ensuring you have some group-friendly lights as well as blitzkrieg ones. :-)

LutherB

Good stuff Mick! I'm going with a group of varied experience so won't be a fast run for us either. We've got plenty of lights sorted so if we're strung out in a line we'll look like an ocean liner at night! Are you riding on your own or part of a group?

Mickthemove

Über Member
Cheers, the lights are not that bad :eek: Me and a pal are doing it so should keep each other going, i am doing 80 mile a week in prep upping it to 140 by the first week in July, he is still talking about it in earnest but not actually doing any miles, i assume reality will hit home sooner or later! :laugh:

CopperBrompton

It's only 60 miles, so you don't need much prep for that - plenty of people do the daytime ride having dragged their bikes out of the shed for the first time since the previous year. :-)

LutherB

Got my number - 154 - and start time 23:00.

I've been doing roughly the same mileage as you Mick, I know what you're saying Trikeman but i haven't done 60 miles straight yet, 45 miles last Friday is the most so far in one go. I want to enjoy the ride and possibly have something left in the tank for when we arrive so can have a little amble around the coast. Will probably just have a paddle in the sea and then crash out on the beach tho'!

Mickthemove

Über Member
Really looking forward to this now, lower numbers than the day ride and less traffic on the road! I still sitting at a max 25 miles in one ride but feel good and after a quick drink think I could do it again, all I need to do is actually carry on and go back out!
I would assume breaking it up into 15 mile segments in line with the refreshment stops is the way to go!
The other thing we are doing is sticking another 12 mile on the end by hopefully bobbing down to Worthing at the end! Our start time is 10pm.

LutherB

I saw my group on Saturday and we're all looking forward to it now! Yeah we're gonna do the same thing, break it up into the rest-stop segments. I just hope the start is smoother than last year and we're not hanging around until after midnight before we set off. And it doesn't rain!

LutherB

Really looking forward to this now, lower numbers than the day ride and less traffic on the road! I still sitting at a max 25 miles in one ride but feel good and after a quick drink think I could do it again, all I need to do is actually carry on and go back out!
I would assume breaking it up into 15 mile segments in line with the refreshment stops is the way to go!
The other thing we are doing is sticking another 12 mile on the end by hopefully bobbing down to Worthing at the end! Our start time is 10pm.

Only 3 days to go! How you doing Mick?

Top Bottom