BHF London 2 Brighton Night Ride 26/27 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
staggering numbers of people did the route in daylight during the day on saturday. some staggeringly dreadful cyclists amongst them. four abreast on the A272 being one of the many crimes against humanity I saw.

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
My BF and I hoteled in Brighton on the Sunday morning, so on Sat eve we took the transport to London; it was well over an hour late (should have left Brighton at 10, actually left 11.30ish) and we got to Clapham about 00.30.
We were near the back of the throng didn't pass the start line until about 1.30. (I had actually assumed they were waiting for all the Brighton cyclists but thinking about it now I don't know why they would have done...)
We arrived at Brighton around 6.30ish and had three short stops at the stop points.
Simon had done the L-B day ride years ago but I've never done anything like that before, but I thought it was amazing to do (I didn't even get off and push!) and managed to overtake some "AllTheGears..." It was very cool doing it at night. Glad it wasn't raining or miserable, the weather was glorious and the temperature just right for me.
The best point for me was going down the last 2 miles into Hove, but the second best was probably the couple arguing: You said you'd wait for me! I did wait for you! Yeah but about 25 minutes away, I've been on my own 25 minutes... ad nauseum!

I am doing London to Paris 6th-10th June so it was good practice for me. I hope to be moving to Surrey soon (from Brum) so I am really interested in getting involved in some of the FRNttCs.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It was a good atmosphere, good weather and people were chatting, so I don't think anyone minded too much.

CopperBrompton

I do love that track, but must confess that my music-choice strategy was "I have 4m 58s of video, now which tracks do I own that are 4m 58s long?". ^_^

I do thoroughly recommend it - I hope to do the next one too.

CopperBrompton

Yes, towards the top of the first one, someone told us it wasn't the top but we thought they were teasing. The second one I was sure about because lots of riders were having a breather there, but then ... !

I did really miss the run down the far side of Ditchling, though - that's where I got my highest speed to date on the trike (54mph) and I now have higher gearing ... The sedate downhill on this route didn't quite give the same climax to the ride.

i have touched 49,5 on the kingcycle going down the back of ditchling; i hate the way the road is divided at the bottom of the run by thos terrifiying metal barriers

CopperBrompton

I'm determined to find a hill where I can break the national speed limit ... 7mph more has to be achievable somewhere or other.

CopperBrompton

Yeah, not enough forward vision, unfortunately - all it takes is a tractor pulling out from one of those tracks or someone executing an ill-advised overtake of a lorry going up the hill. It needs a combination of steepness, length, forward vision and lack of junctions.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm sure Dell wouldn't mind doing his Vulcan mind-meld trick on any artic or tractor driver who dares inhabit the same space-time continuum - if you're game. Indeed I think it better if you just closed your eyes ... we'll post your terminal velocity on a cross somewhere ...

CopperBrompton

Stuart, I have to say I'm rather offended by such a callous comment! I'm a hi-tech kind of guy, so the very least you could do to be respectful is to offer to connect my GPS up to some permanent power supply with my terminal velocity displayed in glowing figures. Written on a cross indeed ...

Top Bottom