BHF London 2 Brighton Night Ride 26/27 May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi john henry thanks for the reply re £24 for the bike return;
lots more questions of course;
can you get a bike space back without registering?
if its bike/ artic; cyclist/ coach any ideas if you have to pay for the coach back?
any ideas where they go from or back to;
or what time they go
is there a website faq that would stop me asking pesky questions

I had though of recovering in brighton sunday morning and pottering back to lewes and then up to east grinstead then train back to east croydon Sunday;
Quietish main roads but some hills all the way

[ home is streatham common]

However that’s not possible as theres of course no trains between east grinstead and lingfield on Sunday; but I will probably ride to lingfield to get the train

If I feel wonderful I might cycle back from lingfield but I havent decided yet;
Aa road maps distance brighton to lingfield via lewes is 37 miles

Lingfield to streatham common 20 miles

bob
recumbents mostly

Butterfly

Veteran
hi john henry thanks for the reply re £24 for the bike return;
lots more questions of course;
can you get a bike space back without registering?
if its bike/ artic; cyclist/ coach any ideas if you have to pay for the coach back?
any ideas where they go from or back to;
or what time they go
is there a website faq that would stop me asking pesky questions

I had though of recovering in brighton sunday morning and pottering back to lewes and then up to east grinstead then train back to east croydon Sunday;
Quietish main roads but some hills all the way

[ home is streatham common]

However that’s not possible as theres of course no trains between east grinstead and lingfield on Sunday; but I will probably ride to lingfield to get the train

If I feel wonderful I might cycle back from lingfield but I havent decided yet;
Aa road maps distance brighton to lingfield via lewes is 37 miles

Lingfield to streatham common 20 miles

bob
recumbents mostly

Hi Bob,

You could incorporate the Bluebell Railway into your journey - they are running an hourly service from 11am - 4pm and that would cover some of the distance between Lewes and East Grinstead:smile:

They are happy with bikes, so long as you don't swamp them!

Joan

that is such a magical suggestion;
do they take recumbents? i would hope so as they still have guards vans don't they!
up to kingscote ; then a brief cycle to east grinstead
wonderful
the smell of working steam
victorian technology meets 20 c bike technology....
atmosphere galore
thanks
bob

Hi Bob,

You could incorporate the Bluebell Railway into your journey - they are running an hourly service from 11am - 4pm and that would cover some of the distance between Lewes and East Grinstead:smile:

They are happy with bikes, so long as you don't swamp them!

Joan

That sounded good until I looked it up and it seems to go from north of Uckfield to some way outside East Grinstead. So steam train addiction apart it seems much better to just get the regular train from Uckfield into London.

It is proper guards vans, and a delight it is.

They don't (yet) go to East Grinstead (rails being laid as we speak), but it's not far short. We've used them for a journey before now. Fun.

It is proper guards vans, and a delight it is.

They don't (yet) go to East Grinstead (rails being laid as we speak), but it's not far short. We've used them for a journey before now. Fun.

Do you know what happens at the East Grinstead end? It says you can't drive to the station and have to take a bus from East Grinstead. But can you cycle there in that case?

i looked here
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=u...OqP0AXXxYWtCg&oi=local_result&ved=0CBYQ_BIwBw

and scrolled up to the end of the line at kingscote

it looks like a road between kingscote and east grinstead;
imberhorne lane and then turners hill road
maybe theres no carparking at the kingscote station

even if there's a bus from eg to kingscote that implies some kind of walkable/therefore cycleable route to the station; i am not sure if i remember seeing vintage buses being used some [ many] years ago;

maybe i will phone them before i leave lewes
the worst that can happen is that i have to cycle from sheffield park to east grinstead;
i know its five miles uphill to wych cross and 2 down to forest row; then a climb to e.g
i have only ever cycled down to lewes on that road;

think of the downhills;
bob

Tim Hall

1864148 said:
You could cycle it just fine. They are only seeking to discourage parking on the narrowish lane near Kingscote Station.
Part of the planning permission I believe. Cycling and walking to the station are just fine.

You could park in nearby Voles Wood, but the last time I saw it mentioned in the local rag it was to tell people about dogging. Whatever that is.

i am going to clapham common tonight; there was no infrastructure there last night [friday] but a sign at the top of nightingale lane and there are stickers on the junction pointing down st james drive towards tooting bec; my plan was to get to clapham common south tube station by 11 pm and check out what was going on; i will be [ as ever] on a yellow recumbent; the kingycle with the fibreglass box on the back; anyone want to meet there for a ghost ride?

coming back lunchtime ish tomorrow [ not certain about times] if i cant get the bike on a bhf artic/place on a coach then i will cycle lewes/ bluebell rlwy/ east grinstead /cycle lingfield/ train to east croydon [ you can change there for london and places north]
who will join me ?
bob

Top Bottom