BHF London to Bath in October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeltz

Veteran
I've signed up for the BHF London to Bath ride on October 5th. I needed a goal as I've recently come back to cycling after back problems, a prolapsed disc, and need to get some focus so that I lose weight and get fit again.

I'm riding 40-60 miles most Sundays with the local cycling club, doing 20-45 mile circuits on my own once or twice a week and I'm aiming to do at least one 80m+ ride per month, which I did last Sunday (85m)

The course isn't published yet, its billed as 100m but I've been told that its actually 114m, I don't have an elevation profile but I'm on the edge of the Mendips and my 85 miler took in 5000ft of ascents which I reckon would be plenty more than London to Bath.

Do my preparation sound sufficient? The BHF training program for intermediary cyclists seems much more intense albeit with more frequent shorter rides.

This will be my 1st 100 mile ride ever, Sunday was a personal best. Any tips for the day, I tend to eat something (oaty stuff or malt loaf) about every 20 miles, does that sound about right?

Has anyone done this ride and if so could anyone tell me how hilly the course is?

TIA
Nic

jagman.2003

Über Member
I'm no expert, but the training your doing sounds good to me. Keep up the mixture of distances with the odd long ride for stamina.
One thought I had was if your keen to see the course & your on Strava or similar, you might be able to find someone who has done the route previously. That might give you the general stats & ascents.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Well just over a week to go and I must say that I'm not impressed by the BHF.

There is a low res (it says so in the file name) downloadable map which is pretty much unreadable when printed even using my hi res networked attached laser printer at work and the GPX file is still "coming soon" as it has been since July.

I'm sure (or should that be hopeful) that the route will be well signed but that doesn't stop some prat chucking a turn sign over a hedge so I'd quite like to have a back up!

Has anyone done a BHF ride? Do they produce the goods (GPX file) at the last minute do they hand out "readable" maps at the start?

Hello Jeltz.

it would seem you're worrying a bit. the bhf rides are usually well routed and signed. your training sounds like its on track. always have a map just in case is my advice - especially as I don't have a gps ^_^. there are usually marshals at dodgy junctions to help you out too.

you'll probably end up riding with a group or maybe even one other I would imagine which will help. enjoy the ride, it isn't a race. just make sure you refuel well and I would imagine you'll be fine.

best of luck.

rgarteteach

you might be able to find someone who has done the route previously. That might give you the general stats & ascents.
rDC9RQ

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
I contacted them via FB and they've now updated their website with download links for an amended route and GPX file so I'm feeling happier about it but still I'm surprised that they left it so late to update their page, not sure if my contact was a coincidence or reminder but at least its there.

OP
OP
jeltz

jeltz

Veteran
Well on the day it was fantastic, well sign posted and great support. As my 1st century (110 miles) I was happy that I did it in 8.5 hours including a lunch stop and there was still enough in the tank to cycle home after, although the Mendip hills were a bit harsher than the ones on the course. Anyway I managed to raise over £350 for the BHF and that was the aim.

Top Bottom