BHF London to Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
Nice top speed down Ditchling..............

thanks Ian, managed to top that riding back to london via devil's dyke - 79.3kph:
IMG_0266c.jpg

Farky

First time for me and I did it on my fixed. Ditchling was tough but I was pleased I got up it with no stops...had a few people tell me I was 'crazy'though. All in all, great day and very well organised with the only downside being those people that don't look over their shoulder before they move halfway across the road...

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Well that was an interesting ride. We started as a team of seven and ended as a team of seven 9 hours later one dissintegrated rear dérailleur at 8 miles a front wheel blow out of the side wAll at about 12 miles, a front derailleur that decided to comit suicide into the the crank a broken chain and one team member that got off and bloody walked up every sodding incline. I have decided I am not doing it next year unless the other team members get yheir bloody bike properly serviced before the ride and put in some bloody training...... Not a happy bunny :sad:

Chris_S

Well that was an interesting ride. We started as a team of seven and ended as a team of seven 9 hours later one dissintegrated rear dérailleur at 8 miles a front wheel blow out of the side wAll at about 12 miles, a front derailleur that decided to comit suicide into the the crank a broken chain and one team member that got off and bloody walked up every sodding incline. I have decided I am not doing it next year unless the other team members get yheir bloody bike properly serviced before the ride and put in some bloody training...... Not a happy bunny :sad:

Weirdly, as I only joined this forum last night and you were the first (only) person to reply to me, I was convinced I had seen you at about 12 miles walking back up to one of the service areas with a wheel over your arm - I thought, nah, can't be. There must be lot's of people dressed in orange with mohicans sticking out their heads.
May not have been yourself of course but one of your team? either way, out of the 1000's of people who were there....Next time I'll stop and say hello.
Oh yeah, did it in 6 hours and had a great time - but slightly knackered :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bummer.
I've had similar days out and it's pretty dispiriting. However, even for poorly maintained bikes that's a lot of mechanicals in one 54 mile trip.
Hope it's better next year.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Weirdly, as I only joined this forum last night and you were the first (only) person to reply to me, I was convinced I had seen you at about 12 miles walking back up to one of the service areas with a wheel over your arm - I thought, nah, can't be. There must be lot's of people dressed in orange with mohicans sticking out their heads.
May not have been yourself of course but one of your team? either way, out of the 1000's of people who were there....Next time I'll stop and say hello.
Oh yeah, did it in 6 hours and had a great time - but slightly knackered :-)
Yes that was me I was walking back up to the service area with my nephew past the accident black spot. Well done to you for completing and in only 6 hrs :smile:

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Bummer.
I've had similar days out and it's pretty dispiriting. However, even for poorly maintained bikes that's a lot of mechanicals in one 54 mile trip.
Hope it's better next year.
Yeah pretty crap really but hey ho!!! The deralileurs were one bike and the tyre blow out and the broken chain was another bike, still not to good the queue to get the bits fixed at the service area was horrendous

kristen dean

I really enjoyed it, cant wait for the next one. It has made me want to start trying some more competitve ones though, might have to have a hunt around for some :smile:

Ripper

Regular
It was my fisrt go at such a long ride yesterday, but with plenty of training i managed to get to the finish at 11.20 after a 6.00 start. Had to wait for a slower friend a few times so could have been a bit quicker. Biggest smile of the day for me was making it up Ditchling without getting off, closely followed bt the desent the other side and hitting 48.3 mph (not sure how accurate that is!) and crissing the line at the end. My bum is a bit sore this morning and i'm sure my legs will stiffen up throught the day. Not forgetting that i raised plenty of money for the BHF too as that is the whole point of the event!

JohnHenry

Loose member.
Loved it and @ 59 got up Ditchling without walking for the first time EVER! The weather seemed perfect and our team stuck together like sticky things AND we were still talking at the finish.

Now looking forward to the OffRoad one in September - better change my slicks for knobblies, though.:sun:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
onlookers.jpg

Had a good time. Didn't actually do the L2B, just did Ditchling Beacon — though I cycled there from home, so it wasn't altogether cheating. I've never seen so many cyclists in one place. Went up and down a handful of times, walking down in the end because it's tiring holding onto the brakes and it was starting to get too crowded to buck the one way system (I'd arrived early enough to make riding down feasible, initially). Enjoyed seeing all the various types of cyclists, including a number of fellow singlespeeders.

One guy was playing Ride of the Valkyries as he made his ascent.

Top Bottom