Bi-focal sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
As I get older, the need to wear glasses to read this has increased rapidly! I had to upgrade my Garmin Edge 25 (which I absolutely loved) to a Wahoo Elemnt just so that I could see what was on the screen.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for bi-focal sunglasses - I know you can get these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/voltX-GT...hash=item36100ee652:m:mHIMwKlXPMgtkhGPAg0N4cA - but I always find it better hear from people who have experience of using items like the above.

I don`t wear bi-focals in real life, I need them as I type this but then I just peer over the top of them to watch the TV lol

Any recommendations/guidance greatly appreciated.

Look no further than Elvex RX350. They have excellent lenses, perform well as cycling glasses by keeping wind off your eyeballs and come in clear and tinted. They can also be taken apart to make a Frankenglass i.e. 1.0 in one eye and 2.5 in the other eye. However, you have to buy two pairs to do that.
I have used these for years, starting at 1.0 and now, 2.5. They don't make a 3.0, which is what I really need, but for 15 years, the range was good enough for me.
They are pretty cheap too.

In the UK, supply is limited, so you may have to order from the US.

Venod

Eh up
I don't have Bifocal Sunglasses but I have some varifocal reactolite prescription cycling glasses from Optilabs not cheap but they do the job, I can see my edge 520, read number plates to driving test standard and not squint into the sun.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Cheers for that. And as I said, I`ve never worn bifocals but I assume the ones mentioned will enable me to read my Wahoo when I glance down to the stem but not affect my eyesight when I look straight ahead - that may sound like a really stupid question and it wont be the last time I do that lol

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Take existing sunglasses. Purchase stick on magnifying lenses (Amazon is good, as so often) in desired magnification. Use water to position. Leave to adhere. Enjoy bifocals for about 16-17 squids. ^_^

wonderloaf

Veteran
Take existing sunglasses. Purchase stick on magnifying lenses (Amazon is good, as so often) in desired magnification. Use water to position. Leave to adhere. Enjoy bifocals for about 16-17 squids. ^_^
Before I had to go down the varifocals route this what I did, worked really well and meant I could use my expensive cycling glasses.

Alas no more :cry:

Cheers for that. And as I said, I`ve never worn bifocals but I assume the ones mentioned will enable me to read my Wahoo when I glance down to the stem but not affect my eyesight when I look straight ahead - that may sound like a really stupid question and it wont be the last time I do that lol
That's exactly right. But, you need to find out what strength you need. Go to Boots or Lidl or something and try on and buy a pair of reading glasses that suit you. Match the strength on the Elvex's

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I had reactolite or whatever the optician calls them and found them a menace on some roads. Coming down the hill for example into Rosemarkie which has overhanging trees I found that coming into shade I was totally blind and the left hand side has or had lots of large potholes. That is only one example but I ditched them for cycling pdq.
I never had varifocals but I would be very cautious about spending much until I was sure they worked as intended.

vickster

Legendary Member
The description doesn't make a lot of sense, assuming typo
  • Special interchangeable photochromic lenses with reading area. Designed for people with short sighted vision

Top Bottom