Bi-focal sunglasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had reactolite or whatever the optician calls them and found them a menace on some roads. Coming down the hill for example into Rosemarkie which has overhanging trees I found that coming into shade I was totally blind and the left hand side has or had lots of large potholes. That is only one example but I ditched them for cycling pdq.
I never had varifocals but I would be very cautious about spending much until I was sure they worked as intended.
Why does the OP need varifocals, he's not describing short sightedness is he, just long sightedness. Varifocals correct both sorts of vision

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Why does the OP need varifocals, he's not describing short sightedness is he, just long sightedness. Varifocals correct both sorts of vision
Most likely due to a misunderstanding on my part.

I had reactolite or whatever the optician calls them and found them a menace on some roads. Coming down the hill for example into Rosemarkie which has overhanging trees I found that coming into shade I was totally blind and the left hand side has or had lots of large potholes. That is only one example but I ditched them for cycling pdq.

I can confirm that but I suspect that this would also be the case with regular sunnies.
I have been using prescription multifocal/varifocal lenses for about twenty years now. They took a little getting used to at first But I am very happy with them.
These lenses are reactolite coated and as far as UV protection goes if I forget to apply SPF 50 to my face at the end of the day I have the reverse panda look, white around my eyes and tanned where the lenses don't cover.
I use my prescription lenses for cycling.

FWIW

Mike

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to a Boots reading glasses stand and do the same for nothing ^_^
I never pay for my eye tests though as Specsavers kindly put free test vouchers through my door.
If you are employed and use a VDU, your employer should pay too :okay:
The reading glass stand won’t test any other aspects of vision or eye health either

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm long-sighted and need reading glasses. As I've got older I need a bit of help with distance too now. I wear distance glasses for cycling and driving, and I find there's enough assistance there for me to be able to read the computer on the bike. I've got varifocals, but I can't wear them for golf (the ball 'moves' as I move my head), and I don't wear them cycling. I suspect that varifocals could give similar problems when cycling as you look up at the road and down at the handlebars. I carry my reading glasses when I'm out on the bike in case I need to fix a problem or read a menu. Single-vision lenses are a lot cheaper and better for a specific task in my opinion.

. I've got varifocals, but I can't wear them for golf (the ball 'moves' as I move my head), and I don't wear them cycling. I suspect that varifocals could give similar problems when cycling as you look up at the road and down at the handlebars.
Not a problem for me but my optician did say that not everybody gets on with varifocals.

Mike

johnnyb47

Guru
These glasses look like just the thing i need.
I can see perfectly long distance but have trouble reading my garmin computer. Many thanks for the great posts 👍

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
These glasses look like just the thing i need.
I can see perfectly long distance but have trouble reading my garmin computer. Many thanks for the great posts 👍

That was exactly my problem! I have two different types of glasses coming tomorrow via Amazon so will post up thoughts about them then. Good thing with Amazon is that you can send them back really easily!

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
OK, a wee update. I got the following pairs of glasses today:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004GE9WEQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077MH2BPG/ref=twister_B07CLCV3Z4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Luckily it was actually sunny enough to try them out but not on the bike

I would definitely recommend the Eyekepper glasses, the second pic below. However, the price seems to have changed since I bought mine. I got them for £12.95 whereas they are now back up to over £24 - strange! You do get a hard-case, a glasses pouch and wipe with these ones.

The Voltx ones are not really sunglasses but safety glasses and to be fair, it does say that. When you put them on, everything turns yellow and I mean YELLOW!!!!! - I think they would give you a headache after a while. You do get a strap with these.

Be interesting to see how I get on out on the road with them. As I pointed out in the original post, I have ever worn bi-focals before so may take a wee while to get used to them. And the more eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed the mistake I made when ordering the glasses resulting in one going back and a new set ordered lol

Top Bottom