Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Campognolo Xenon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moorie87

I have offered the chance to purchase the above bike (see pictures) for £350. What are people's opinions/experience with the bike and is it a good deal? Said he bought it from Start Cycles in October 2016 for £980 and been kept inside when not being used. Frame size is 57mm and i am 6'1. This will be my first road bike.
Any advice welcome

Attachments

• IMG_1070.PNG
    IMG_1070.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1071.PNG
    IMG_1071.PNG
    59.2 KB · Views: 165

vickster

Legendary Member
I think Xenon is Campag entry level, so Tiagra or Sram Apex equivalent

Go try it out, see what you think. Some people say low end campag can be a bit agricultural and parts are a bit harder to get than Shimano
Or Sram.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Well it should at least be the correct size for you. You really need to check it out to see what condition it's in and what if anything need fixing.

As Vickster said Xenon is Campag entry level and the Nirone is Bianchi entry level.

However for £350 well worth it; make sure the fit is ok though most notably reach from saddle to bars.

boydj

Legendary Member
There's nothing wrong with basic Campag kit - the gear changes might be a little clunkier than the Shimano equivalent, but it works well enough and I prefer the Campag shifting to the way Shimano works. After having a Campag-equipped bike on hire last year, I managed to get an older Chorus level bike from e-bay and I prefer it to my 105 bike.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
I have this same bike - 2015 model - and am really pleased with it. Comfortable geometry, fairly light and the Campagnolo Xenon shifts well. The rear cassette (11-25) was a bit much for the Sussex Downs so I had it replaced with a 12-29, which necessitated a medium cage derailleur, so be aware you may need to make similar changes, unless the gearing already been changed.

The wheels are often criticised as being the main cost-cutting part of the bike - I replaced mine with some secondhand Scirocco 35s. Not sure they made much performance difference, but they look nice! ^_^
20190420_115539.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
I had one too, nice bike and in some ways I regret selling it. The freehub did disintegrate but it was replacable. Mine was a 57cm, but was exactly the same dimensions as my 54cm Genesis so they do size them a bit strangely. It fit me well but I'm a bit shorter than you at 5'10". I do seem to remember swapping the stem for a slightly shorter one so you might be OK. I bought mine for £400 barely used, looked after it and sold it on for the same price, so £350 is a good price if it's in decent nick.

I would agree with @wheresthetorch about the gearing. I managed to ride all over the Peak District but was struggling a bit on the 25t sprocket. Depends on your fitness and the terrain how you get on with it and a cassette and mech swap is no big deal.

RegG

Über Member
This may be the "entry level" Bianchi but the Via Nirone 7 is very well respected in Bianchi circles. It is said to be a very good, comfortable ride and a lot of owners prefer it to their more expensive carbon bikes. As others have said, I believe Campag Xenon to be their entry level groupset but this should not detract from the quality of the bike. If, assuming the frame is in good, straight condition, and it is the correct size for you, there is no reason not to get it at £350. If you wanted to, you could always upgrade the groupset to the latest Shimano 105 for around £400 which would make it a great bike. You could also take a look on the Bianchi owners club FB pages for more guidance - but you would have to join the group.

Good luck!

vickster

Legendary Member
This may be the "entry level" Bianchi but the Via Nirone 7 is very well respected in Bianchi circles. It is said to be a very good, comfortable ride and a lot of owners prefer it to their more expensive carbon bikes. As others have said, I believe Campag Xenon to be their entry level groupset but this should not detract from the quality of the bike. If, assuming the frame is in good, straight condition, and it is the correct size for you, there is no reason not to get it at £350. If you wanted to, you could always upgrade the groupset to the latest Shimano 105 for around £400 which would make it a great bike. You could also take a look on the Bianchi owners club FB pages for more guidance - but you would have to join the group.

Good luck!
You'd maybe need new wheels too, if switching groupset from Campag to Shimano?

boydj

Legendary Member
Why upgrade to Shimano, or at all? Ride the bike for a while to learn how it works, see how you like it and if there are any niggles which are potential upgrade needs. You can upgrade as things wear out, but changing to Shimano or moving to 9, 10 or 11 speed Campag is bound to be expensive - probably at least as much as the bike cost. At the end of the day, when you are out riding any upgrades won't make that much difference to the riding experience, which depends much more on the frame and wheels.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Via Nirone 7 is a very nice bike, designed for smooth and comfortable all day cruising. It handles securely and you won't regret buying it.

Top Bottom