Bianchi Via Nirone 7 - Campognolo Xenon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh, come on everyone. By this stage of the game, I seriously doubt any of these three makes are more than microscopically different in terms of quality of operation.
Personal preference only. Otherwise that stuff would be on every professional bike, without exception.
:biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh, come on everyone. By this stage of the game, I seriously doubt any of these three makes are more than microscopically different in terms of quality of operation.
Personal preference only. Otherwise that stuff would be on every professional bike, without exception.
I find Sram and Shimano completely different in look, feel and operation (if comparing the same ‘level’). Not solely a preference between two systems that according to you are the same

I don't doubt that they are different, just that this difference is not technical superiority, level for level. Having never experienced anything bar Shimano*, I'm certain I too would notice some difference between systems.
Edit: not true, the Simplex 5er on the rescued Peugeot is, erm, how shall I put it, agricultural?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't doubt that they are different, just that this difference is not technical superiority, level for level. Having never experienced anything bar Shimano*, I'm certain I too would notice some difference between systems.
Edit: not true, the Simplex 5er on the rescued Peugeot is, erm, how shall I put it, agricultural?
I don’t give a cr@p about technical superiority :okay:

Usability, feel, size, shape and look of the shifters on the bike :okay:

I don’t give a cr@p about technical superiority :okay:

Usability, feel, size, shape and look of the shifters on the bike :okay:
Exactly my point. There ARE differences, just not technically-speaking. On the old saw of 'original is always best', Campagnolo should nail it every time, but they don't. And one person's usability is another's fumbling awkwardness. My personal example of this is drop-bar brifters. Horrible. Flat bar EZ-fires are, to me, superior in every way. I might otherwise actually possess a drop bar bike...

I'm digging up this thread as I have a question related to the sizing of Bianchi bikes.

I'm seeing for sale online a Bianchi via nirone 7 frame size 50cm. It's 5 year old model. I've read here that Bianchi bikes measure a bit strange. Could anyone let me know what rider's height would this 50cm bike suit?

T4tomo

Guru
They size up marginally smaller than average I.e. mine is 57cm but if I hire a bike on hols etc then i'd hire a 56cm and its about the same size, below may or may not be your year model, but the dimensions have barely changed. Nice bikes I had one (maybe a 2009 model) before I bought my Infinito CV, I sold the Via Nirone to my mate so i still see it most weekends
1619189386781.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm 5'10" and my 57cm VN7 fit me perfectly. It was the same dimensions as my 54cm Genesis CdF.

They size up marginally smaller than average I.e. mine is 57cm but if I hire a bike on hols etc then i'd hire a 56cm and its about the same size, below may or may not be your year model, but the dimensions have barely changed. Nice bikes I had one (maybe a 2009 model) before I bought my Infinito CV, I sold the Via Nirone to my mate so i still see it most weekends
View attachment 585318

Thanks for this one.

I'm interested to hear your opinion: the person the bike would be for is 5'5-5'6 so kind of in between sizes. In line of principle, when in between sizes would you go for the smaller bike with saddle moved up or the larger bike with saddle moved down.

T4tomo

Guru
Its best to try for size, although not always possible.

general advice is always smaller, you can fit a longer stem if needed, and flip the stem so handle bars sit a touch higher if they have a lot of seat post showing, getting the reach right from saddle to bars is key to being comfortable. saddle also adjusts back and forth. However if they have a long reach to leg length, they may want to go larger, its not an exact science unfortunately.

It is harder to make a big bike smaller.

so barring them being an orangutan, I'd err on side of smaller.

Top Bottom