bib longs/non-bib longs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
PrettyboyTim said:
Could someone perhaps clue me up as to what's meant to be so good about bib shorts/longs?

Basically you tend to get a lot more casual sex.

Membrane

Blue said:
In case you don't already know, it's more efficient to belly breathe!!!!!!!!!!

That is a technique I didn't know about. Googling led me to this explanation: http://openairfitness-sb.com/openair/OpenAirFanatics/OpenAirFanatics/tabid/73/Default.aspx#belly

It sounds interesting. I have noticed that in the early stages of a ride when I'm strong I breathe deeply, whilst in the later stages when I am struggling my breathing is much more shallow and quicker. So far I've put that down to cause: tiredness, with effect: shallow breathing (less oxigen needed). There's a chance that it could be the other way around, cause: tired chest muscles resulting in shallow breathing, effect: less oxigen and thus a performance drop.

Intrigueing, will try to see if I can learn it.

But afaics with the technique you use your diaphragm to breathe, the diaphragm is located just under the rib cage, well above the waistband of non-bib shorts or longs.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

I ummed and arred for ages about whether to get some bib longs.
I finally got some DHB ones from wiggle and I find them fanatstic for my evening rides. They keep me so warm! and I have no probs with the padding either. I wear them under my bikesters cos I look awful in lycra.:blush:

Blue

Legendary Member
Membrane said:
That is a technique I didn't know about. Googling led me to this explanation: http://openairfitness-sb.com/openair/OpenAirFanatics/OpenAirFanatics/tabid/73/Default.aspx#belly

It sounds interesting.
Intrigueing, will try to see if I can learn it.

But afaics with the technique you use your diaphragm to breathe, the diaphragm is located just under the rib cage, well above the waistband of non-bib shorts or longs.

It's a technique I read about and tried during my running days. As you will see, the abdominal muscles come into play when trying to use the diaphragm effectively. I presume that this is why I only noticed the problem with shorts on steep climbs(which is what I mentioned in my first post) - being bent over when trying to maximise belly breathing probably caused the waistband to to be noticed, a problem I don't get with bibs. Of course, it could just be down to my shorts having an unusually high waistband - it is just a personal observation after all. Bear in mind that when you ask any question on any cycling forum you will get a myriad of opinions in reply :blush:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:
Well, I've never noticed any restriction around the waist from my cargo shorts, probably because I don't have drop handlebars.

well, I think the same.
fwiw when on a straight smooth bit of road I did a little test, when going along at 20mph I get my torso down into a low position, at least as low as I would be if I had drops, and kept the same pedalling rate, while watching my speedo all the while. My speed increased by about 0.8mph. In my view this isn't worth sacrificing the safety, convenience and sheer ease of use for.

PrettyboyTim

In my case I injured my left wrist a while back so I'm wary of putting too much weight on it, which kind of rules out drops. I always wear a wrist brace on that side when cycling, and it took me some time to adjust my handlebars until they were comfortable (I got some with swept back bars). Once I've given my wrist a good long time to heal and got some more strength back into it I might try drops again, but I'm quite happy with my bike as it is at the moment to be honest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bonj mate you are full of ......

I'm a roadie, and prefer the position - flat back, stretched out, plus you have lot's of options for hand positions - neck strength is something you have to work on - the only benefit I can see with my MTB (I ride it more than the road bikes) is the ability to sit right up negotiating heavy traffic. The road bike would be wasted for traffic - so that's for weekend blasts. My MTB is set up close to that of the road bikes, i.e. saddle probably 6 inches higher than the bars and I can still see well.

As said, bibs are a personal preference - just cos you don't like 'em doesn't mean you are right...same with the drop/straight position...the more aero position just isn't for speed, it's comfort as well, especially if you are adapted to using it.....20 years riding road bikes should have me sorted then....again, personal preference..........

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Answering 'Tim' my MTB puts more pressure on my wrists with the straight bars than the road bikes - I barely touch the bars on the road bikes - usually ride with hands stretched out on top of hoods - again down to positioning etc.....

OP
OP
B

bonj2

fossyant said:
Bonj mate you are full of ......

I'm a roadie, and prefer the position - flat back, stretched out, plus you have lot's of options for hand positions - neck strength is something you have to work on - the only benefit I can see with my MTB (I ride it more than the road bikes) is the ability to sit right up negotiating heavy traffic. The road bike would be wasted for traffic - so that's for weekend blasts. My MTB is set up close to that of the road bikes, i.e. saddle probably 6 inches higher than the bars and I can still see well.
No roadies I ever see with drops are using the drops, that combined with ethe fact that they're uncomfortable and only gain you less than 5% speed increase proves they are only really a statement of 'look at me I'm a serious cyclist'. Bar ends with proper handlebars are much better.

fossyant said:
As said, bibs are a personal preference - just cos you don't like 'em doesn't mean you are right...same with the drop/straight position...the more aero position just isn't for speed, it's comfort as well, especially if you are adapted to using it.....20 years riding road bikes should have me sorted then....again, personal preference..........

Hmmm... I can see the point about breathing though. Maybe I'll reconsider - I don't know, but i'm still suspicious.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Tynan said:
'No roadies I ever see with drops are using the drops'

I see plenty on my commute, HTH

yeah well you live in london where looks are a lot more important.

Top Bottom