bib longs/non-bib longs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Maybe. It applies with lots of things, many car's seats for instance are loved by a lot of people, but hated by me.
You see my point about the decathlon padding position though? You'd have to have a concave arse for it to be right for you.

I've got a coulpe of pairs of the mid/high end Decathlon bib shorts and I find the padding on them spot on.

As you've pointed out with the car seats, it's horses for courses. What fits some people well is toss on others (and no I don't have a freaky body shape before you ask).

OP
OP
B

bonj2

stephec said:
I've got a coulpe of pairs of the mid/high end Decathlon bib shorts and I find the padding on them spot on.
you must have a concave arse then ;)

stephec said:
As you've pointed out with the car seats, it's horses for courses. What fits some people well is toss on others (and no I don't have a freaky body shape before you ask).

I suppose bucket seats are probably better for handling, but I find the contoured edge bits that you get on a lot of cars sticking up at the sides just dig into my hips and really annoy me on a journey of anything more than 5-10 miles. My van's got totally flat seats which I find really comfy.

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
...usually ride with hands stretched out on top of hoods...
How do you reach the brakes when you need them in a hurry?

This is the one thing that puts me off getting a road bike, since my commute is mainly urban with plenty of stop-starting, kids running across roads at school times etc.

Chris James

Über Member
Maz said:
How do you reach the brakes when you need them in a hurry?

This is the one thing that puts me off getting a road bike, since my commute is mainly urban with plenty of stop-starting, kids running across roads at school times etc.

If your hands are on top of the hoods then you are already covering the brakes.

Maz

Guru
Chris James said:
If your hands are on top of the hoods then you are already covering the brakes.
oh ok. I must be confusing riding on the 'hoods' with riding on the 'tops'.
Are you able to apply good brake pressure when holding the hoods?

...sorry for the off-topic digression...

btw I have a pair of dhb bib longs and they are grrrrreat.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I picked up a pair of Northwave bibbed longs in a sale in the spring, couldn't use them all summer but, now that winter has come around I am glad I did.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Maz said:
oh ok. I must be confusing riding on the 'hoods' with riding on the 'tops'.
Are you able to apply good brake pressure when holding the hoods?
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5895

Fnaar said:
bibs for winter, non-bibs for summer. You know it makes sense.

why non bibs in summer? can't be that hot surely?

giant man

I wouldn't wear any shorts or tights that weren't of the bib variety. Every experience I have had wearing otherwise results in them slipping down, and who wants that?

Tynan

Veteran
I'm thinking bib shorts for the summer whenever that comes, I was never mad about the waistband on regular shorts

Top Bottom