Bib shorts or Shorts?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you have already got non padded shorts from decathlon i can recommend their cycling shorts , i use the basic 3 rated shorts for commuting and the 5 rated bib shorts for longer bike rides, great value and very comfortable.Another bonus is they come in proper uk sizes as i have always struggled to get padded shorts that fit properly.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

If you have already got non padded shorts from decathlon i can recommend their cycling shorts , i use the basic 3 rated shorts for commuting and the 5 rated bib shorts for longer bike rides, great value and very comfortable.Another bonus is they come in proper uk sizes as i have always struggled to get padded shorts that fit properly.
Thats good to know, its often conceived that being cheap they are of a shoddy quality but i am pleased with the non padded ones. very comfortable! having never worn the padded type i was a bit wary! they may be my best option then. Cheers mate. ;)

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Thats a good point, i never considered the waistband being a problem. Thanks mate.

Just to let you know Gaz, that was from personal experience several years ago. I was told what I said to you and once I splashed out on the bibs what I had been told was true and wouldn't change back from bibs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The problem with anything with a waist is that under duress, as when climbing hills, the waistband tends to creep downwards exposing your lower back. Bib shorts avoid this problem and hold the pad securely in place.

(Eek! Sounds like a sanpro ad!)

sidevalve

Über Member
I find that with bib shorts it is easy to slip the straps that go over your shoulder down your arms so you can get enough "clearance" so you can relieve yourself with no problem, also bibs are a lot more comfy on long rides as there is no waist band to dig into you. I suggest you go to a shop that has both and try them on and see for yourself :thumbsup:
I agree it's easy enough to do on a fair day out in the country it can be a bit of a pain if your riding around town on a tour in the wet with a rain jacket on and have to use a public one. No big deal, just something else to mess around with. Also I've never had any problems with a waistband, although I admit that could be due to "natural padding".

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I like the dhb padded undershorts a lot, theyre comfy and padded and you can wear them under anything so dont need cycle specific clothing and look "normal" in a pub. Usually i wear stretchy baggies or running shorts on top, or loose combats in winter, non of which seem to restrict my legs or affect my average speed either. I might try bib shorts in the future as theyre clearly very well recommended, but i struggle to see the attraction personally :smile:

Mr Finch

Regular
You are evil evil people! I went and looked at the dhb Aeron bib shorts and ended up spending 91 quid (after the extra10 discount)!

ordered the shorts, Deuter Race X 12L bag, two water bottle carriers and a litre bottle of Muc-Off (for the motorbike - best stuff there is!).

Wifey not impressed... ;)

Thanks for the recommendations. :smile: :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just bought some Aerons, they're superb. No arse-ache on the ride at all, that didn't start until I got home to Mrs Gti.....

Top Bottom