Bib tights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

This has answered a question that I was going to ask. As I have 5 pairs of padded undershorts I don't want to splash out on numerous pairs of bib tights.

I wear tights over padded shorts for that very reason; padded bib tights are more expensive than unpadded.

Plus that way, one or two pairs of tights are all that's needed. If you have padded tights and are washing them after each ride (as you perhaps ought), if you're commuting that means 5 maybe 6 pairs (unless you like doing regular washes) and then that does get seriously expensive. With unpadded tights, you can just put them over summer bib shorts/undershorts and wash all at the end of the week... or whenever there's a break in your work pattern.

To my way of thinking, it just makes more sense.

2pies

Veteran
I wear tights over padded shorts for that very reason; padded bib tights are more expensive than unpadded.

Plus that way, one or two pairs of tights are all that's needed. If you have padded tights and are washing them after each ride (as you perhaps ought), if you're commuting that means 5 maybe 6 pairs (unless you like doing regular washes) and then that does get seriously expensive. With unpadded tights, you can just put them over summer bib shorts/undershorts and wash all at the end of the week... or whenever there's a break in your work pattern.

To my way of thinking, it just makes more sense.

Exactly.

While unpadded may be cheaper, they are less common though. I'm looking for some Super Roubaix ones that keep you warm on very cold mornings.

The dhb ones are quite expensive:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-superroubaix-windproof-unpadded-bib-tight/

This other brand are much less:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=46787

yello

I have 2 pair; one dhb and one from Halfords (whatever make that is). The dhb ones are the fleecier of the two and are plenty warm enough for me, even on cold mornings. To he honest, I don't think I'd ever need anything warmer as I don't generally feel the cold on my legs. Sweaty knees really are an awful feeling!

Edit: my dhb tights were nowhere near that price, mine were much cheaper. They were bought maybe 5 years ago and they're not super roubaix.

Alexvs

Just a quick update on my purchase. I received my Altura Night Vision bib tights and used them today. They're extremely warm but not overly thick which is great. Think I might have to wait until it's a bit colder but couldn't help myself this time just to get a feel for them. Definitely recommend them and ratrace.com where I got them, excellent service.

Christopher

Über Member
Only problem I found with bibtights is a lack of consistency in the sizing - the fit varied a lot between brands and even between different models from the same manufacturer. So personally I'd recommend getting them from a LBS if at all possible. Think I tried on 6-8 pairs before deciding.

Sorry I can't recommend any particular models, Pepecat. Might be some tests in one of the cycle mags atm, it is that time of year...

edited for clarity

Top Bottom