Bibs and boobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
My female friend is preparing to do a 100km ride in London later this year and is currently planning to do it in what amounts to jogging bottoms and a sweatshirt. I've been trying to extol to her the virtue of bibshorts but she's flat-refusing to even entertain the fact on account of the shoulder straps likely making her uncomfortable, by being, er, how can I put this... the shoulder straps would probably do the lycra equivalent of drive over the top of a roundabout.

Surely this can't be the case with female bibs can it? Ladies?

I'm really not trying to be sensationalist with that title, but I'll understand it if the mods change it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Female Bibs are designed with the female form in mind.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I dont see anything wrong with sweats and a t shirt if that is what she wants to wear and what she will be comfortable wearing. That is what matters, not what someone else would like her to wear. After all, each to his or her own. IMHO? :thumbsup: I have just bought cycling shorts, but wear a t shirt and sweat shirt on top. That is what i feel comfortable wearing. i dont care what anyone else thinks of my apparel. It suits me.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I dont see anything wrong with sweats and a t shirt if that is what she wants to wear and what she will be comfortable wearing. That is what matters, not what someone else would like her to wear. After all, each to his or her own. IMHO? :thumbsup: I have just bought cycling shorts, but wear a t shirt and sweat shirt on top. That is what i feel comfortable wearing. i dont care what anyone else thinks of my apparel. It suits me.

I'm thinking more in terms of comfort; she's quite anxious about this ride and getting stabbing gut pains 50km into the ride will make the last half grim.

That being said I'm judging this on what I'd feel is comfy so I'll try and get her to do a 100k with me before the big day as a trial run.

I think there is more to what OP (Andrew_Culture) is saying us.
Let him enjoy that...

welsh dragon

I'm thinking more in terms of comfort; she's quite anxious about this ride and getting stabbing gut pains 50km into the ride will make the last half grim.

That being said I'm judging this on what I'd feel is comfy so I'll try and get her to do a 100k with me before the big day as a trial run.

Has she had any pain ? If she has then maybe try to persuade her to get a pair of cycling shorts to start with. She can still wear a t shirt and anything else. Amd if she gets to hot, she can take things off to make herself more comfortable.

screenman

Legendary Member
Welsh have you tried bibbed shorts?

welsh dragon

Welsh have you tried bibbed shorts?

I must admit no I haven't. I have only just bought myself cycling shorts. Before now I wore jogging bottoms. I woild be a bit worried about the full monty to be honest. Women with err large boobs always worry about how they look, and how and what other people would think and the comments that could be made. :blush:

mattobrien

Guru
I love the way @Andrew_Culture has told us this is about 'his friend' and that it isn't actually a problem he has suffered himself with his moobs. I prescribe more cycling Andrew to help reduce the moobs and eliminate the problem :whistle:

On a more serious note Mrs O has some 3/4 length shorts, rather than bibs. Going for a non bib, but padded short might be a reasonable half way house. Or if said friend is minted then Assos do a Y shaped bib short which I believe goes between the 'roundabouts' centrally before splitting out to go over the shoulder.

Peteaud

Veteran
I really dont want to bring any smut into this thread, however, this pic is ladies bib.

santini-wmn-r3-bib-10-med.jpg

So yes it avoids rounderbouts.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Not sure I understand, why you think the bib bit will prevent stabbing gut pains? I am assuming your friend is wearing padded shorts already ... which don't exactly constrict the gut (unless you are referring to another part of the anatomy?). From my experience anyway, ordinary cycling shorts are perfectly fine for distances of 100+km, as long as the pad is the right shape/size for the person/saddle interface :rolleyes: and there are no seams that can rub any tender bits (also assuming that the saddle suits and is set up properly). My husband loves his bib shorts/longs, I suppose lots of men have less of a waist than women (generalising dangerously here), if that makes sense, so the waist elastic might feel more constricting to men. Again, if you try before you buy, you'll know if the shorts fit properly.

The only ladies' bib shorts/longs I've seen have a single strap thingy going up from the middle of the waist and divide below the neck in a Y shape to go over both shoulders (google Assos ladies bib tights). I wouldn't want them, finding a spot to behind the bushes in the middle of nowhere is much harder for ladies already, wouldn't want to have to take the top off, too :wacko:.

T

Top Bottom