Bickerton Junction - anyone have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daisyj

Über Member
My employer is starting a cycle to work scheme through Cycle Solutions and I'm going to get a folder for a partial commute. I live in a hilly area and am relatively new to cycling so need the gears!

I'm looking at this model.

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p90910/bickerton-junction-1909-country-2016-folding-bike

It seems to have a fairly neat fold and is not overly hefty. Does anyone have any experience of one? I couldn't find many reviews through a web search. I'm quite taken with the look of it.

It's not a bad bike, basically a rebadged Tern/Dahon. For £900 you could get a Brompton which folds smaller and easier and has a much better resale value. I don't think Bromptons are worth this much even though I bought one - but this bike much less so.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
It's not a bad bike, basically a rebadged Tern/Dahon. For £900 you could get a Brompton which folds smaller and easier and has a much better resale value. I don't think Bromptons are worth this much even though I bought one - but this bike much less so.

Thanks windmiller. My ideal bike would be a Brompton but Cycle Solutions don't stock them and we're tied to them by the scheme. I may look again at the cheaper models.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Seems to be a rebadged Tern P9. A bike and company that has had its problems in the past, though they seem over those now. Comparative Terns & very similar Dahons appear about the Internet cheaper than £900, as does the same Bickerton to be fair, asking about price matching, a straight out discount or free accessories / servicing may be a good idea if you do go for this one.

You do need to factor in lights, pump, accessories too by the looks of it which adds to the start up costs.

It looks to have usable spec, if not anything outstanding, The Brooks saddle is a nice touch but they take some work to get comfy and aren't to everyone's taste. (I love mine tho)

Just looking at your link and the specs for other bikes there, for the money I'd be more keen to test the 1707 City model, all in all you seem to get a better commuter package at £250 less.

The Nexus hub gear is a good solid unit with a perfectly decent gear range unless you're wanting to ride at 40mph or up the side of a mountain; being a sealed unit it is far less prone to getting caked in muck or knocks or going out of alignment and the chain should last longer as it is not flicking between cogs, you can also change gear stationary if you have to stop suddenly or miss a change before traffic lights etc - the payoff is that getting the rear wheel off is a tad more fiddly.
For the £250 saved you could upgrade tyres to Schwalbe Marathon plus or green guard which are top level puncture protection. You could also get decent lights, pump etc and still be on the same budget as the 1909 on its own.

For commuting most people find carrying luggage off the body a better option so the rack coming supplied might be a useful addition too, the right single pannier or a rack top bag would work with the fold.

I'm not sure what the saddle bag in the 1707 city pic is but suspect it will be a bike cover, depends on what the rest of your commute is but that could be helpful, some bus/trams require folded bikes to be covered to be allowed on - never strictly policed IME but also worth checking out with operators if you are planning a part public transport journey with it. Trains are usually a bit more relaxed and accepting of bikes. Even if you're part travelling in a pals car, it'd be courteous after a wet ride to cover it.

Not to put you off the 1909 but don't be necessarily be seduced by: if it costs more it must be better for what I need. Have a think about living with it and looking after it and the bits like lights you need to manage better in bad weather or as the nights draw in and for a partial commute, carrying Lunch/clothes etc and the bike when folded.

Whatever you get, enjoy it though, commuting can be addictive and is a great free fitness routine each day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
Seems to be a rebadged Tern P9. A bike and company that has had its problems in the past, though they seem over those now. Comparative Terns & very similar Dahons appear about the Internet cheaper than £900, as does the same Bickerton to be fair, asking about price matching, a straight out discount or free accessories / servicing may be a good idea if you do go for this one.

You do need to factor in lights, pump, accessories too by the looks of it which adds to the start up costs.

It looks to have usable spec, if not anything outstanding, The Brooks saddle is a nice touch but they take some work to get comfy and aren't to everyone's taste. (I love mine tho)

Just looking at your link and the specs for other bikes there, for the money I'd be more keen to test the 1707 City model, all in all you seem to get a better commuter package at £250 less.

The Nexus hub gear is a good solid unit with a perfectly decent gear range unless you're wanting to ride at 40mph or up the side of a mountain; being a sealed unit it is far less prone to getting caked in muck or knocks or going out of alignment and the chain should last longer as it is not flicking between cogs, you can also change gear stationary if you have to stop suddenly or miss a change before traffic lights etc - the payoff is that getting the rear wheel off is a tad more fiddly.
For the £250 saved you could upgrade tyres to Schwalbe Marathon plus or green guard which are top level puncture protection. You could also get decent lights, pump etc and still be on the same budget as the 1909 on its own.

For commuting most people find carrying luggage off the body a better option so the rack coming supplied might be a useful addition too, the right single pannier or a rack top bag would work with the fold.

I'm not sure what the saddle bag in the 1707 city pic is but suspect it will be a bike cover, depends on what the rest of your commute is but that could be helpful, some bus/trams require folded bikes to be covered to be allowed on - never strictly policed IME but also worth checking out with operators if you are planning a part public transport journey with it. Trains are usually a bit more relaxed and accepting of bikes. Even if you're part travelling in a pals car, it'd be courteous after a wet ride to cover it.

Not to put you off the 1909 but don't be necessarily be seduced by: if it costs more it must be better for what I need. Have a think about living with it and looking after it and the bits like lights you need to manage better in bad weather or as the nights draw in and for a partial commute, carrying Lunch/clothes etc and the bike when folded.

Whatever you get, enjoy it though, commuting can be addictive and is a great free fitness routine each day.
I've had a look at the City 1707 now and do like the sound of the Nexus hub. It's 2kg heavier than the 1909 but on the most usual routes I'm likely to take I don't envisage needing to carry out great distances. I could then get a good set of lights & tyres as you say and would be tempted to switch the saddle as it looks a bit spongey for me. I'm going to see what they say about the possibility of getting a Brompton and if no luck there, take a closer look at the 1707. Thanks for your ideas, folders are new to me but I'm pretty excited about getting one, can't wait!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You could get a next to new Tern off ebay for around £200 plus,theres no point in paying £899 for one of those.
You could say similar to those debating £3000 on a carbon flying machine.
At least with new you get more protection and after sales care and we don't know OPs disposable income, a salary sacrifice scheme may be the more attractive and achievable option than keeping a few hundred quid aside awaiting the right bike coming up and hoping for buy it now or winning out at auction. Also not all of us are in love with eBay and PayPal.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not really, that bike OP has shown is a very basic folder which isnt very good value for money Also you dont have to be in love with Ebay and Paypal to use the site, what a strange thing to say.
At the end of the day its her choice obviously what she goes for but that bike isnt a good deal.Theres a brompton been sold on here, that would be better and would at least hold its value.
Agree the bike seems overpriced, I said the same above. Again you're assuming an available & disposable lump sum outside of a C2W offer. Different strokes for different folks, some people like new & the aftersales care and servicing also mentioned before.

OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
OP
OP
daisyj

daisyj

Über Member
1467822116998.jpg

Got the bike and tried it out on a short ride to pick up some train tickets. Twitchier than my hybrid but great fun and very smooth gear changes. The fold is easy now I've had a practice and marked the handlebar post position so the magnets align. Early days but so far very pleased!

cotwolds

Hi Daisyj - I hope you are still enjoying your bike. I ordered the same one for myself and it arrives on Monday. I was going to buy a Dahon Qix which costs more, but was advised that this is a better bike by the bike shop.

Even got a dog basket for the rear so I can transport my pooch.

Top Bottom