Bicycle helmet pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

xilios

Veteran
Hi all,
My wife and I are looking for some replacement helmet pads. After a few years of use we like to replace them but our helmets are at least 5 years old and they don't make replacement pads for them anymore.
They would like us to buy new one's but I don't think there is anything wrong with them. I mean they are not damaged or falling apart, they just need new pads.
Anyone know a way to make some? Like material ideas?
Really can't find anything on the net.
cheers George.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say the entire helmet would require replacing.
UV light will damage the hard plastic shell over time and the inner styrene will detiriate with age.

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
Like I said there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the helmets. The plastic covering is still in good condition and styrene is like new.
Seems silly to dish out for new helmets when we only need the pads.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do you need the helmets? You must be one of the few couples in Maastricht to bother.

(The first person to post the "popcorn" smiley loses.)

OP
OP
xilios

xilios

Veteran
Thats interesting but I do not want to glue them on I would prefer to use valcro.
But thaks for looking into it for me cisamcgu.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thats interesting but I do not want to glue them on I would prefer to use valcro.
But thaks for looking into it for me cisamcgu.
Why not glue the velcro to the material?
Inserting the homemade pads that way

Do you need the helmets? You must be one of the few couples in Maastricht to bother.

(The first person to post the "popcorn" smiley loses.)

Popcorn and helmets don't work ... the popcorn falls through the holes, unless you have a less vented helmet in which case you may get away wit it.

Like I said there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the helmets. The plastic covering is still in good condition and styrene is like new.
Seems silly to dish out for new helmets when we only need the pads.

There is little conclusive data, but most manafacturers concur that normal wear and tear along with UV / age degradation means helmets should be replaced every 3 - 5 years

The big issue is whether there is structural weakening or damage that you cannot see.

andym

Über Member
Thats close, I've seen a few sites that advertise replacement pads and even universal set's in amazon for around €15.
But being cheap, I'm actually looking for some material I can just cut to the size I need and it will only cost me a couple of euro's.

Self-adhesive velcro tape and bits of foam. Attach the spiky velcro to the helmet and the hairy velcro to the foam. Or vice-versa. It'll cost you more than a couple of euros though.

I think there are different views on UV damage and helmets (but cunobellin's summary seems about right to me) but if they've had a lot of use then I suspect that it would be a good idea to replace them.

swansonj

Guru
There is little conclusive data, but most manafacturers concur that normal wear and tear along with UV / age degradation means helmets should be replaced every 3 - 5 years

The big issue is whether there is structural weakening or damage that you cannot see.
For any product, not just cycle helmets, if all manufacturers concur that you need to spend lots of money with them for a new one after X years, I'm willing to take a punt it will last significantly longer than X.

For any product, not just cycle helmets, if all manufacturers concur that you need to spend lots of money with them for a new one after X years, I'm willing to take a punt it will last significantly longer than X.

Safety equipment is safety equipment.....

If you have decided to wear a helmet because you percieve a benefit, then you also have the choice to wear it beyond it's "expiry date"

Only you can decide whether the helmet is compromised and not going to be ineffective when needed.

Top Bottom