Bicycle parking brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. I know a parking brake isn't a necessity but I find it helpful. Might be because I often transport stuff by bike and have one or two full panniers.

I like the look of the device I posted as it looks dead convenient. I've tried velcro and cord but found them a bit fiddly. I'll see if I can find a scrunchie to try and those ball bungies look interesting too.

I've seen brake levers with a parking brake built in but assumed they wouldn't be very high quality. I've found the quality of the pivot to be quite important especially.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tent pegging rubber?

OP
OP
Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Following up on the scrunchie idea I've found a pretty good solution in 4mm shock cord.

20170916_130620.jpg 20170916_130919.jpg 20170916_130941.jpg

I'd still love to know the name/origin of the device in the OP though if anyone knows. Cheers.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Have you rode a bike in the Wolds? I have but there again I have never parked on one a hill though.
<cough> Ruckland <cough>
+ Red Hill, Stained Hill, Cawkwell (when the A153 was closed to motorised traffic for the UK champs at Cadwell Park), Belchford Hill....it's a much underrated area. Some people, even on this forum, seem to think Norfolk's hillier! :crazy:

classic33

Leg End Member
I spotted this on the brake cable of a trike a while ago and thought it would be pretty handy to stop a bicycle squirming around when lent against something. I've tried rubber bands and such over the brake lever but find they quickly perish from UV.

Does anyone know where to get one of these or what it's called? Google has failed me.
View attachment 373712
Fitted by the manufacturer, Pashley, as standard.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
When I was in Switzerland everyone used a flimsy looking metal loop through the back wheel which immobilised it and worked as a bike lock. Sadly I don't think people here can be trusted with such an elegant solution.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
<cough> Ruckland <cough>
+ Red Hill, Stained Hill, Cawkwell (when the A153 was closed to motorised traffic for the UK champs at Cadwell Park), Belchford Hill....it's a much underrated area. Some people, even on this forum, seem to think Norfolk's hillier! :crazy:
9 miles into Norfolk and you're off the fens... they go into Lincolnshire maybe 40 miles... but I hope we can agree both are hillier than Cambridgeshire ;)

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
A nurses lock, you mean?
Apparently so. My memory was that about two thirds of bikes had them with some unlocked and only a tiny fraction with anything more secure. I remember it clearly at a large bike park and thinking it was wonderfully trustful and Utopian

U

User32269

I'm lucky, I use the Liverpool anti roll lock when chained up on inclines. It don't roll down when the wheels been nicked.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
9 miles into Norfolk and you're off the fens... they go into Lincolnshire maybe 40 miles... but I hope we can agree both are hillier than Cambridgeshire ;)
Yeah, I would have guessed that Norfolk's generally hillier than Cambridgeshire, but in an idle moment (of which I have many) I checked with wikipedia.
Maybe not entirely representative, as these are the highest points of each county in England, but Lincolnshire came in at number 42 with a high point of 168 metres, Cambridgeshire 45th at 146 metres, and Norfolk 47th with 103 metres. Who'da thunk it?

Top Bottom