Bicycle Rides - Aboard the Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
4E095F38-D57B-4801-82F9-99A8B0B5D452.jpeg
I’ve always loved the combination of bicycles, art, photography and landscapes and when I go out on my morning rides I bring along a camera body, a couple of lenses a tripod and remote shutter releases and enjoy the challenge of capturing images that celebrate the beauty of being out on a bicycle ride - both bicycle and rider. Although I am the rider in my images, as well as the photographer, the images are about cycling, not about me. Here’s one from the other day:

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
And a spin through the Old Town in Hastings:
Postcard - Old Town-1.jpg

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
That's dedication that Hoopdriver. There's a big difference between being a good opportunistic photographer and someone who sees the possibility of a shot and then goes out and takes it and makes it work. It's quite a lot of effort too.
Thank you. It really does take time and effort and patience. Last Sunday I was out for seven hours, with a heavy pack of camera gear on some very hilly lanes. There was one shot I wanted to get that involved me coming up a hill with a fourteen per cent grade - I rode up it more than thirty times, trying to get the light, the angles, the positioning of myself in the frame, and the body and bike language just right. I got about a dozen images out of that that I really like some of which are now in my portfolio at National Geographic's Image collection, but the work that went into getting all that was no joke.

Thank you. It really does take time and effort and patience. Last Sunday I was out for seven hours, with a heavy pack of camera gear on some very hilly lanes. There was one shot I wanted to get that involved me coming up a hill with a fourteen per cent grade - I rode up it more than thirty times, trying to get the light, the angles, the positioning of myself in the frame, and the body and bike language just right. I got about a dozen images out of that that I really like some of which are now in my portfolio at National Geographic's Image collection, but the work that went into getting all that was no joke.
I presume that the National Geographic Image Collection is somewhat different to normal stock agencies and I hope somewhat more lucrative and worth the effort of creating such a portfolio.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
I presume that the National Geographic Image Collection is somewhat different to normal stock agencies and I hope somewhat more lucrative and worth the effort of creating such a portfolio.
If only! They are more exclusive, certainly, and yes, probably slightly more lucrative but sad truth is the whole stock photo business has been blown to shreds. I do my cycling stuff mainly for the love of the art - and I do genuinely love capturing these images and celebrating the beauty of bicycles in the landscape - and look upon whatever money I receive from my images as a nice bonus. There's no other way to look at it nowadays. Commissions and assignment work is the only way to make a living.

Top Bottom