Bicycle saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I appreciate this could be a "How long is a piece of string?" question, but here goes...

Elder Son and I are almost ready to build the resurrected Rando we're working on, and we're wondering how to select a saddle. Neither of us has experience of drops so this is a whole new world.

At the moment we're looking at a gel or foam saddle until we decide who is keeping this bike. Elder Son is muttering about a Surly if he gets on with the riding position, but that's for the future.

The bike will probably have a fairly relaxed position, about 60° on the hoods, but how much difference does it make when we use drops?

Are we pretty safe with a general gel saddle, or should we seriously look at saddles with holes in them?

At the moment we're planning to stick with the aesthetically unfortunate saddle we got with the bike, until we have a feel for how the position affects comfort, but any advice is welcome.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Gel saddles :stop::thumbsdown:. I have had a couple and I can honestly say that softer is not better.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I appreciate this could be a "How long is a piece of string?" question, but here goes...

Elder Son and I are almost ready to build the resurrected Rando we're working on, and we're wondering how to select a saddle. Neither of us has experience of drops so this is a whole new world.

At the moment we're looking at a gel or foam saddle until we decide who is keeping this bike. Elder Son is muttering about a Surly if he gets on with the riding position, but that's for the future.

The bike will probably have a fairly relaxed position, about 60° on the hoods, but how much difference does it make when we use drops?

Are we pretty safe with a general gel saddle, or should we seriously look at saddles with holes in them?

At the moment we're planning to stick with the aesthetically unfortunate saddle we got with the bike, until we have a feel for how the position affects comfort, but any advice is welcome.
I never needed a cutaway until my early 60s, when my prostate started complaining. Most people seem to spend most of their time on a hoods anyway. Personally, I rarely use the drops until, with a sense of defeat when facing a headwind, I'll do my best to hide from it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's about whatever fits you best - width is probably more important than a cut-out.

For distance I use an old Fizik Nisene MTB saddle, but on all my other bikes it's a 128mm Bontrager Paradigm - either the standard or very thin XX version. Either way it's a very narrow saddle compared to most but seems to fit me well; I live in Yorkshire these days and seem to have become a tight ....!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Gel saddles :stop::thumbsdown:. I have had a couple and I can honestly say that softer is not better.
There's gel saddles and there's gel saddles, though. I've had some I've loved and some I've hated. Some fit and some don't. Lumping them together makes as little sense as commenting on all leather-covered saddles or all sandals IMO.

GuyBoden

Guru
The inexpensive Aldi gel saddles are worth a try..............

Bikemate-Mountain-Bike-Saddle-A.jpg

Thanks @GuyBoden & @Smudge, will have a look. Aldi here doesn't always sell the same as Aldi UK but I'll keep an eye out...

The long term plan is that Elder Son either gets his own tourer or decides to stick with straight bars so I don't want to spend too much: If I get on with the drops I'd prefer a Brooks long term.

Top Bottom