Bicycle Security V.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuUngar

Garage door bolts £27 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asec-AS1997...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382010266&sr=8-1&keywords=asec

Makes your garage infinitely more secure and easy to fit as long as you know how to use a drill & can measure accurately. An hours work.

You may need some additional drill bits and I suggest getting them of Ebay is the cheapest. To fit the key covers you will either need a riveter or some decent adhesive. I haven't bothered and the locks are fine & must be galvanised.

sazzaa

Thieves round my way have been using Strava to track down bikes.

Well that's worrying.

GuardTwin

I was locking my bike and I heard an alarm right behind me and everyone looked....my foot hit the pedal which moved the pedal a little, i thought it would never shut up, but it does come with a big heavy box by the looks of it.... Would not mind having one but the box is heavy when the owner rushed over and asked if anyone touched it. I did tell him it was my foot and he was fine, I asked about it and he said it can be heavy on hills but yet his bike is a battery powered bike.

Rouge79

a great article.

I'm going to store my new bike in a secured bike room that my block has (no more room indoors) but I'm still crapping myself at leaving there. 2 gold kryptonite locks will help put my mind at rest

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To lesley

I ride around london on an old chro-mo Ridgeback - bike that first got me back into cycling - circa 1997 - and though I now have maybe 5 bikes and others far more expensive it's now turned into my favourite bike even though it doesn't look like much and is only 7/21 speed. It also has bits of duck tape on it, mostly for practical reasons to do with cable rub/water getting in a loose gear shifter. Frame has plenty of scratches. All helps it look like a poor resale prospect.

In London plenty of other bikes parked that look far more marketable.

So I'd get a decent steel/chro-mo framed bike (but definitely not flashy), good basic bits (nothing wrong with Alivio), don't put anything too flash on it or try to look cool and just enjoy it. I've eventually (I'm a slow learner) decided that there's a lot of ***sh*t talked about bikes.

Save your other bikes for racing/club runs or whatever.
My Ridgeback sounds like its brother (or at least cousin)
502 CS Adventure frame
Deore/ Alivio mix on trans, brakes, and lever set up
Hand laced wheels with Mavic rims/Marathon 28's
Brooks B17 Narrow
Topeak system rack &top bag/pannier setup
I use this bike far more than any of my others and it keeps evolving into now a flat bar tourer which with a big pair of Carradice panniers and a Topeak Bikamper tent I can quite happily cover over 100 miles in a day and stay out for over a week. Its also been known to pull a trailer laden with shopping, building materials and garden plants.
I generally resurrect old Raleighs into my bikes but this old Ridgeback comes in for a special mention, commuter, touring it does it all and if I could only keep 1 this would be it

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
This might be a stupid question but here goes. Is there a lock that is secure and not too heavy to carry around? I used to use abus to lock up my motorbikes. Maybe it's worth locking a cycle with a moto lock??
Any recommends very welcome

A "nasty" one as well.

Park your bike next to a more valuable and vulnerable machine - making it the less attractive option

This is an interesting one from the US

Dual interest for the bike theft angle, but also the stereotyping of the "Offenders" ABC's "What would you do?

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the guy at 11:00 got home!

This might be a stupid question but here goes. Is there a lock that is secure and not too heavy to carry around? I used to use abus to lock up my motorbikes. Maybe it's worth locking a cycle with a moto lock??
Any recommends very welcome

By definition, a light lock will be easy to break. In the end, you have to accept a balance between weight and level of security. If I'm using one of my best bikes, then I have a 11mm hardened 2 kg chain lock which sits in a little bag under the top tube. Think of it as building up your endurance in having to carry it around.

My Ridgeback sounds like its brother (or at least cousin)
502 CS Adventure frame
:smile::smile:Mine's the 520sx tho I have absolutely no idea what the sx stands for.Square taper crankset (recently replaced for £25), 1 inch threaded headset. Have also used mine as a tourer and it's great.

Last edited:
I may PM you on this topic as well to avoid boring other folk with bizarre fandom. May ask you a few questions as well if that's OK.

Last edited:

Schmilliemoo

Wax on, wax off...
By definition, a light lock will be easy to break. In the end, you have to accept a balance between weight and level of security. If I'm using one of my best bikes, then I have a 11mm hardened 2 kg chain lock which sits in a little bag under the top tube. Think of it as building up your endurance in having to carry it around.

Yeah I think I realised that. I was hoping some boffin might have come up with an amazing solution made out of weapons grade titanium or similar. 2kg isn't too bad.

If expensive bike security fails in seconds then what real advantage does that have over cheap bicycle security? Better off with a modestly priced lock or 2 to prevent people simply riding off. In my case my bicycle is not left for very long in public and often still within my view while locked up.

Top Bottom