"Bicycles are the new toilet paper"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Good shop's don't need to be underhand to keep the sales coming.
You soon get to know which is which.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Stupid idiots. On one of my regular walks somebody has pinned up notices asking people not to touch gates and stiles. How long do they think a virus will live on warm dry wood in bright sunshine?
The answer is several hours. During which time plenty of people may have walked that way.

When we go for local walks we make sure we don't touch gates or stiles. Or if we have to, apply sanitizer afterwards

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just back from my usual 2km pootle round the suburban back roads and yes, there are loads of people out on bikes, including families. I think it's great as usually the roads are so busy it would deter any new cyclist. It's fairly posh round here so I would imagine Halfords, Argos, Go Outdoors and Decathlon have had a fair bit of trade from whole families getting geared up.

I was thinking of buying a Tacx trainer before Christmas - loads on eBay around £40/50. Now you see hardly any and the prices are ridiculous.

Just back from my usual 2km pootle round the suburban back roads and yes, there are loads of people out on bikes, including families. I think it's great as usually the roads are so busy it would deter any new cyclist. It's fairly posh round here so I would imagine Halfords, Argos, Go Outdoors and Decathlon have had a fair bit of trade from whole families getting geared up.

I was thinking of buying a Tacx trainer before Christmas - loads on eBay around £40/50. Now you see hardly any and the prices are ridiculous.

Because there are none about for retailers to buy.

Wonder how CRC got them TACX trainers though as the UK distributor has been out of stock for a while:whistle:

Bicycles are the new toilet paper

I hope you don't have a white saddle :rolleyes:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
People from Pill Village are traditionally known as Pill Sharks. Back in sailing ship days ships having provisioned in Bristol would tow large bits of meat astern so the salt water would preserve it .All the Bristol Ships Pilots lived in pill village, in the dark as the ship slowly passed the village young lads would swim out from Pill with a sharp knife in their teeth and liberate the meat.

As the sun came up and the ships crew noticed the meat gone the pilot would tell them the sharks must have had it.

I went to the local bike shop yesterday for some puncture repair stuff - he is totally up to his neck in work

Apparently when this lockdown started his main showroom was full and sold out in a week
so he ordered new bikes and filled it up again
He has sold the full contents of it 4 times now - he has just had a delivery and filled it up again but he has been told that there is no chance of getting any more as the warehouses are all empty now and the factories are on lockdown and not making any.
On top of that he is fixing 40-50 bike a day
His wife is moaning that he isn;t getting home until 9 p.m.!!

All made worse because he has had to furlough his workers (2 part time people) as the workshop is so small it is impossible for 2 people to work there and not constantly brush past each other - never mind socially distance!!!

And when I go out for my daily ride I see loads more bikes on the road

Seems to be a boom time for bike shops!!!!

I went to the local bike shop yesterday for some puncture repair stuff - he is totally up to his neck in work

Apparently when this lockdown started his main showroom was full and sold out in a week
so he ordered new bikes and filled it up again
He has sold the full contents of it 4 times now - he has just had a delivery and filled it up again but he has been told that there is no chance of getting any more as the warehouses are all empty now and the factories are on lockdown and not making any.
On top of that he is fixing 40-50 bike a day
His wife is moaning that he isn;t getting home until 9 p.m.!!

All made worse because he has had to furlough his workers (2 part time people) as the workshop is so small it is impossible for 2 people to work there and not constantly brush past each other - never mind socially distance!!!

And when I go out for my daily ride I see loads more bikes on the road

Seems to be a boom time for bike shops!!!!

Just use the empty showroom as a workshop extension?

Reactions: C R

Seevio

Guru
The first thing I thought of when I read the thread title was...
56223a823cea7d5c213fc49073f7030b.jpg

Chris S

Legendary Member
There still seems to be a bike shortage. I saw an East Asian man riding a toy electric motorbike to the shops today. Either he didn't realize that it was supposed to be for children or he was desperate for an e-bike.

Top Bottom