Bicycles in The Landscape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
As some people may already know I'm a magazine writer and photographer. Lately I have been shooting an assignment of my own - bicycles in the landscape. I've been getting out early, laden with camera and tripod and remote shutter releases and being both subject and photographer have been capturing images that I hope convey something of the beauty and picaresque freedom of cycling. I have been posting them on Instagram - a first for me. I've a dozen images so far. If anyone's interested: https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/

alicat

Legendary Member
Beautiful but not sure I'm picking up the picaresque notes or even that I'd often put 'picaresque' in the same sentence as cycling ...

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice pictures, every one of them. You've a talent for composition and light. But why is the cyclist almost always cycling away from you?

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Thank you. Mind you, I have had a lot of practice. I have been shooting for magazines and corporations for many years. The cyclist in all those images is me. I am the cyclist as well as the photographer. I prefer the pics to be about A Cyclist in the landscape rather than about me. So a lot of quartering shots, distance shots, use of motion etc.

Besides, as a photojournalist I always felt as though I had a great face for radio and the perfect voice for print...

theloafer

Legendary Member
Besides, as a photojournalist I always felt as though I had a great face for radio and the perfect voice for print...[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: stunning photo`s...:notworthy::notworthy:

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
As some people may already know I'm a magazine writer and photographer. Lately I have been shooting an assignment of my own - bicycles in the landscape. I've been getting out early, laden with camera and tripod and remote shutter releases and being both subject and photographer have been capturing images that I hope convey something of the beauty and picaresque freedom of cycling. I have been posting them on Instagram - a first for me. I've a dozen images so far. If anyone's interested: https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/
They are indeed very nice images, I`d certainly be proud of them. They would give John Craven a run for his money if they were a calendar !! No offence John.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Thank you very much. It’s how I make my living, but I must say doing this sort of photography, setting up on the roadside, calculating angles of sun and composing entirely in your mind’s eye, then using remote shutter releases and an intervalometer to capture the images as I pedal into frame has meant developing an entirely new skill set. There are an amazing number of details one has to keep abreast of while shooting.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Thank you. It was lovely being there.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Thank you very much. It’s how I make my living, but I must say doing this sort of photography, setting up on the roadside, calculating angles of sun and composing entirely in your mind’s eye, then using remote shutter releases and an intervalometer to capture the images as I pedal into frame has meant developing an entirely new skill set. There are an amazing number of details one has to keep abreast of while shooting.
Sometimes taking a great shot is just a case of being in the right place at the right time and that may be only for a few seconds or so. Clearly you go to a lot of trouble in setting up the shots and that is a skill.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
Thank you. I do take great pains to get the shot right, in some cases planning well ahead, checking sunrise times, and taking into consideration the times of year. I already know shots I plan to do in autumn but can’t really do yet because the light and position of the sun wouldn’t be right.

To be sure, luck also plays a role in terms of shifting clouds, passing traffic etc and that part of it requires a great deal of patience and forbearance.

Last edited:

CharlesF

Guru
In a word “Stunning”!

My father was an accomplished amateur photographer, but I doubt if any one of my photos in a thousand would be anywhere as good as yours.

OP
OP
hoopdriver

hoopdriver

Guru
In a word “Stunning”!

My father was an accomplished amateur photographer, but I doubt if any one of my photos in a thousand would be anywhere as good as yours.
Thank you very much. I work hard at it. I am just back from eight hours on the bike with camera and tripod - feeling absolutely knackered - and I will have, perhaps, after editing, half a dozen images to show for it. And that's a good day.

Top Bottom