Bidirectional Shimano shifters - did everybody know this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I made a discovery today. Until recently I have always had Shimano groupsets - my 2012 Cube has Deore and my 2007 Kona has something similar. They have the trigger/thumb gearshift system. Then recently I got a Felt full-sus and it came with this new-fangled SRAM stuff. I quickly discovered that the shifting is different - you use your thumb for both rear mech shifts, up and down.

I’ve ridden the Felt a lot recently but the last couple of rides have been back on the Cube. I kept having to remind myself to use my finger for the rear mech upshifts. Then I forgot and went for an upshift with my thumb. And bugger me, it shifted. I had no idea that the Shimano triggers were bidirectional, after years of using my finger only. Am I the last to know this?! I just checked and the SRAM do not work both ways.

D

Deleted member 26715

What?

D

Deleted member 26715

With Shimano flat bar & MTB systems you can either push or pull the shift lever to go down the cassette, but with SRAM it's push only.
Thank you I didn't know that I have always gone up (size not gear) with thumb & down (size not gear) with finger, I will try it next time I'm out.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Thank you I didn't know that I have always gone up (size not gear) with thumb & down (size not gear) with finger, I will try it next time I'm out.
Exactly! I’ve been doing this for years and only found out by accident today that I have been half-using them! Wish I’d known sooner.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I found out about it when I built up a flat bar with SRAM Rival as I thought all systems came with the Shimano double action, but thought it was just a quirk of the Rival set up. Then I got an MTB with SRAM Eagle.

Seems odd as SRAM use the fantastic 'double tap' shifters on their road bikes when Shimano have two levers to do the same job.

D

Deleted member 26715

But how do you pull with your thumb?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
So to answer my opening question, no - I was not the only one that didn't know this!
I predict a rush of people leaving the drop bar bike at home today, going out on the flat bar to try this.
I will be one of them although my brain / finger / thumb co-ordination may not be up for change!
Interestingly, after at least 13 years of riding with finger and thumb and only around a month of thumb-only, I have switched pretty quickly to thumb-dominant shifting, throwing in a finger every so often as various situations demand. The flexibility that the Shimano system offers is very welcome - you can shift with you hand in all manner of locations on the bar.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If you are running Shimano XT ,XTR, groupsets this allows you to drop 3 cogs on the down shift with one full push of the lever , which is a big plus when decending
Deore is single cog down shift but still quality.

I love SRAM but Shimano has better features on shifters

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am pretty sure 2 Way Release has been around for decades. I feel like it is the only way I shift on my MTB, but I could be wrong.

simon.r

Person
Add me to the list of people who didn’t know this.

Tried it on my MTB yesterday. After decades of riding Shimano I doubt my brain will allow my fingers and thumbs to change the way they work, but still good to know.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you are running Shimano XT ,XTR, groupsets this allows you to drop 3 cogs on the down shift with one full push of the lever , which is a big plus when decending
Deore is single cog down shift but still quality.

I love SRAM but Shimano has better features on shifters
My Deore 10-speed shifter will do 1, 2 or 3 cogs with a thumb push, depending how far I push it. The SRAM Eagle is the same.

EDIT: wait, sorry - you mean it'll shift 3 cogs smaller? I've never experienced that, I'd love to know how that works.

Top Bottom