Big Apples on a Dahon and MKS FD-7 Folding Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm just trying to sort out some niggles on the otherhalfs Dahon...

The grip is a bit pants on the stock pedals. Does anyone rate the MKS FD-7 folding pedals? They seem to be the folding pedal with the most aggressive grip I can find. Any better suggestions?

Also, what's the clearance like for fat tyres? I was thinking of something like 20 x 2.0" Big Apples. Anyone fitted them? The bike is at her folks atm so I can't physically look, but from memory there's quite a lot of airspace between the mudguards and the stock 1.75" tyres.

/edit - model is Dahon Vitesse D7 2013 (I think!)

Last edited:

heist

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Have you considered Brompton pedals, I find them plenty grippy for whatever shoes I'm wearing. Given that many people seem to switch them for SPDs, there's probably quite a few sets in bits boxes in CCers sheds.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru

Doh forgot about the reviews on Evans, Chainreaction, etc. Cheers!

Have you considered Brompton pedals, I find them plenty grippy for whatever shoes I'm wearing. Given that many people seem to switch them for SPDs, there's probably quite a few sets in bits boxes in CCers sheds.

Good call, I notice there's some on eBay. I dunno if it's possible to get a bargin with the way Brompton stuff holds it's price, but I'll see how it goes.

D

Deleted member 23692

I've used Big Apples on an MTB for road use since 2008 and think they are superb. They roll much better on lower pressures than you'd expect them too, and that lower pressure gives a bit of suspension too. Plus they've never punctured in that time, despite my occasionally pulling sharp thing out of the tread.

IMO they are a vastly under rated tyre

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I've used Big Apples on an MTB for road use since 2008 and think they are superb. They roll much better on lower pressures than you'd expect them too, and that lower pressure gives a bit of suspension too. Plus they've never punctured in that time, despite my occasionally pulling sharp thing out of the tread.

IMO they are a vastly under rated tyre

I 100% agree. I use the 2.35" versions on my MTB for touring and the ride is as comfy as an old sofa. They roll great, road surface condition is a non-issue, and 40mph+ descents feel like 25mph ones. In fact the first time I took in a couple of serious descents on Big Apples I had to check my speedo, because I thought it was clearly wrong. Which is kind of the reason I think they are worth a punt, my OH has not got full use of one hand and I think they will take the edge out of descents and bad surfaces.

The two main problems with them I found - they take an age to roll up to speed due to their rolling weight (tho they're not half as heavy as they look), and they make the bike a PITA to fit in a car (have to deflate). And a PITA to pump up again. Oh that's 3....

D

Deleted member 23692

I've not noticed the slow acceleration but the only comparison I have is between 2.25" Nobby Nics and 2.0" Big Apples - I'd say they are pretty much the same.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
I've not noticed the slow acceleration but the only comparison I have is between 2.25" Nobby Nics and 2.0" Big Apples - I'd say they are pretty much the same.

There's a 2.35 Big Apple on the left, and a 2.0 Marathon Supreme on the right. The larger BAs are quite huge, that does take a while to get spinning. In anycase, I agree with you, they seem to get written off as novelty tires for beach cruisers, but are good hard wearing tyres for anyone who likes a bit of comfort.

Wiltshire-20130828-00506_zpsa3ac0270.jpg

Found this online.

https://davesdahon.wordpress.com/2009/05/24/schwalbe-big-apple-tyres-dahon-d7hg/

This guy talks about replacing the standard tyres with big apples, 20 x2.0

Cheers, I'll just buy some and risk it on the back of that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Big Apple Plus is now an option if you want extra puncture protection.

I have standard Big Apples on a 20" wheel bike and was surprised how light and thin they are.

Only one puncture in a year, and they are a doddle to change, but I will probably go for Pluses next time.

Kempston

There's a 2.35 Big Apple on the left, and a 2.0 Marathon Supreme on the right. The larger BAs are quite huge, that does take a while to get spinning. In anycase, I agree with you, they seem to get written off as novelty tires for beach cruisers, but are good hard wearing tyres for anyone who likes a bit of comfort.

Wiltshire-20130828-00506_zpsa3ac0270.jpg

Cheers, I'll just buy some and risk it on the back of that.

I've got those big apples on the right on my Tern Joe (26"). They really are the best of both worlds, fantastic for the road but also have enough area to rough it occasionally.

Top Bottom