Big brave man in little white van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Origamist - no offense taken, I didn't read it as a *full on criticism* but rather just more of a question. :smile:

Maybe because I'm a cyclist I read the road ahead when I'm in the car and anticipate what a cyclist in front will do... if a cyclist ahead of me signalled right I'd be expecting him/her to turn rather than just to overtake a stopped vehicle.

IMHO signalling at every overtake would reduce the impact (not the right phrase, but hopefully it's clear what I mean) of when they did actually want to turn, and I might just assume they're overtaking something and (assuming the road is clear) start to overtake them (obviously leaving plenty of room :o).... could potentially be nasty! :biggrin:

Tharg2007 said:
there was no need to signal at all, we were well over on the right side having already started a long trajectory up to the stopped truck from a primary position quite early on. The cars were having to actually overtake to try to gets past which is what the black car had to do (you can see the black car is over the central line).

Signalling in this kind of situation is a belt and braces approach - the combination of looking behind and your road position should be sufficient to make your intentions clear ("I'm overtaking, not ploughing into the back of a 30 tonne lorry"), but an arm signal is likely to catch following drivers' attention - particularly a second or third following driver.

I do not indicate when I overtake every parked vehicle I come across. However, I would have been more likely to have done in your scenario because a) it was a long HGV and :smile: there was stream of traffic behind and this induces the "follow my leader" approach to road safety in the minds of the congenitally stupid.

iendicott

LOL Origamist beat me to it !

Moving out to the centre of the road and looking over your shoulder is signal enough. Indicating is not a requirement and can actually confuse the situation if you have a road junction on the right and you are overtaking a parked car on the left.

It looked like SB did everything correctly but there are drivers out there that need to reassess their driving abilities Habits. I suspect well over half the people in this country would fail if they where to take their driving test a second time.

Being an ADI I fell into this category. I had to retake a harder test to become an ADI as part of my training and it was very prevalent how many bad habits you pick up after you pas

Top Bottom