Big brave man in little white van

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
skudupnorth said:
Thats scary that the scum actually stopped and did not give a toss about the condition of your friend.The Police officer involved with my hit and run say it's a possible prison offence to leave a scene of an accident,but defo loss of licence and browny points .

Leaving someone unconscious on the ground, and driving away is disgusting, and should merit a jail sentence.

Imagine if that had happened without witnesses, and the cyclist was left in the middle of the road?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH...they don't give a poop.....

Got cut up this morning by a lady in BMW coupe (one of these new ones- you know basic spec...no indicators.....).... waiting from a left side road on a two lane one way...me primary in outer lane, both Hope 1's on... (daylight) driver pulls out over lane one....in front of me ffs..... - fortunately I'd spotted no sign of a face looking anywhere like where I or a 40 tonne truck might be coming from...........

Driver carried on...I'd shouted "OI"...nothing... got beside the car, and shouted "Look where you are going" - no reaction....... other than the other drivers near-by would have heard and seen me......

Zombie drivers...watch out............... tis the season...........

Alan Whicker

fossyant said:
TBH...they don't give a poop.....

+1

A major point about cycling is assuming that car drivers care enough not to risk our lives. Unfortunately, quite a lot of them just don't give a toss - in London anyway. I've spent most of the last ten years riding on two wheels (bikes, motorbikes and scooters) and I've had dozens of encounters that still make my blood freeze when I think about them. And it really does seem to be getting worse out there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
They do care, just not very much, and will take chances with our lives to save themselves seconds. That makes them fairly predictable for the most part.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Having calmed down a bit (despite the numerous close passes on this morning's commute, AGAIN) I should probably point out that the incident I talked about is hearsay twice over - once because I'm hearing it from the chap involved, and once because he was out cold and only has the account given by the lady who called the ambulance.

I feel I've no reason to doubt him, but it should probably be said.

mattybain

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Sony HQ-1 (more details in the description on my YouTube channel if you are interested).

Does the cam plug straight into the Archos or do you need a separate battery back?

What's the battery life like?

Impressed with the quality, looks great.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ah yes, I think I have a brave taxi driver on video that made a second close pass on me, and then ran away from me through a red light. LOLOL!

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mattybain said:
Does the cam plug straight into the Archos or do you need a separate battery back?

What's the battery life like?

Impressed with the quality, looks great.
There's an external battery pack, also the Archos requires a Travel Adapter for the cam to plug into.... more wires than Clapham Junction!!

Chamfus Flange

I've had a similar situation with a white van driver. When I caught up with him I tapped on the window.

"I don't mind you overtaking 'cause I'm slow, but can you give me a little more space next time"

"Sorry mate, I'll try that next time."

Origamist

Legendary Member
I missed the vid too...

Sh4rky, did you indicate? Sometimes this has a psychological and physical blocking effect on drivers (although other times they see this as an invite to accelerate around you).

The driver did not seem particularly contrite, but as I've come to expect a mouthful of abuse when the window goes down, I'd count that as a positive bit of discourse!

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Origamist said:
I missed the vid too...

Sh4rky, did you indicate? Sometimes this has a psychological and physical blocking effect on drivers (although other times they see this as an invite to accelerate around you).

The driver did not seem particularly contrite, but as I've come to expect a mouthful of abuse when the window goes down, I'd count that as a positive bit of discourse!
No, I didn't signal my intention other than by looking over my shoulder and moving out into the lane when there was a significant gap to do so. I only signal when turning.

It is bizarre, they don't expect other car drivers to indicate in the same position, but we cyclists must signal at every available point or they don't seem to have a clue what we are about to do (I must presume that they think we will just disappear upon reaching the parked vehicle, and then reappear at the other end of it). ;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
No, I didn't signal my intention other than by looking over my shoulder and moving out into the lane when there was a significant gap to do so. I only signal when turning.

It is bizarre, they don't expect other car drivers to indicate in the same position, but we cyclists must signal at every available point or they don't seem to have a clue what we are about to do (I must presume that they think we will just disappear upon reaching the parked vehicle, and then reappear at the other end of it). :biggrin:

Yep, a lot of drivers expect you to simply brake and wait behind a stationary vehicle.

BTW, there was no implied criticism of the lack of an arm signal - the driver was at fault. That said, if there is a stream of traffic behind, I'm more inclined to indicate than if there is only one vehicle approaching.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sh4rkyBloke said:

It is bizarre, they don't expect other car drivers to indicate in the same position, but we cyclists must signal at every available point or they don't seem to have a clue what we are about to do (I must presume that they think we will just disappear upon reaching the parked vehicle, and then reappear at the other end of it). :biggrin:

I so agree, it's also bizarre quite how much planning ahead and correcting for poor driving we have to do for those darling motorists who can't do it for themselves.

I'd look, indicate and take the gap - it's recommended bikeability practice and will often dissuade a foolish overtake like this one.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Origamist - no offense taken, I didn't read it as a *full on criticism* but rather just more of a question. :smile:

Maybe because I'm a cyclist I read the road ahead when I'm in the car and anticipate what a cyclist in front will do... if a cyclist ahead of me signalled right I'd be expecting him/her to turn rather than just to overtake a stopped vehicle.

IMHO signalling at every overtake would reduce the impact (not the right phrase, but hopefully it's clear what I mean) of when they did actually want to turn, and I might just assume they're overtaking something and (assuming the road is clear) start to overtake them (obviously leaving plenty of room :o).... could potentially be nasty! :biggrin:

BM - Interesting to hear that it's Bikeability recommended practice. Not done the training myself so I didn't know that.

Tharg2007

Veteran
there was no need to signal at all, we were well over on the right side having already started a long trajectory up to the stopped truck from a primary position quite early on. The cars were having to actually overtake to try to gets past which is what the black car had to do (you can see the black car is over the central line).

Top Bottom