Big girl needs bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoBear

Hi there,
A. I’m out of fitness, have rheumatic pain, B. I’m an aesthetic nazi.
My heart is all totally driven to buy a pashley. My head is asking if I should?
I love hybrid traditional looking bikes and know that for the small amount of use I’d have with it it would be ok, but should I look at something else?
I would be using it for country lanes and light use across fields. Not ‘off reading as such’.
Any suggestions? All greatfully received.
Also 34” inside leg.

Many thanks,

Jo

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I love hybrid traditional looking bikes and know that for the small amount of use I’d have with it it would be ok, but should I look at something else?
I would be using it for country lanes and light use across fields.

Yes. I would look at front suspension hybrids with semi nobbly tyres.

Also with this superb weather I would avoid a small amount of use and do allot of use instead and report your experiences back on this superb forum

OP
OP
J

JoBear

Pashley's are a bit like tanks and not that practical. A hybrid would be far nicer to ride and more capable.
Thank you! I don’t have a lot of cash and was looking to buy through a scheme so the advice here is really valued. Thank you!

OP
OP
J

JoBear

Oh that’s lovely! Even my nazi eyes like that. Thank you!

OP
OP
J

JoBear

:welcome:

Pashley's look nice but are heavy and slow.

It depends on your budget but the Pendleton bikes are OK, as as Ridgeback's ladies hybrids.
Thank you, you see because I’m so out of shape this is what had worried me. I love the look but sort of suspect that it would end up an expensive flower basket.

OP
OP
J

JoBear

Yes. I would look at front suspension hybrids with semi nobbly tyres.

Also with this superb weather I would avoid a small amount of use and do allot of use instead and report your experiences back on this superb forum
I would try to use as much as possible but I suppose what I am trying to say is that I’m no long distance cycler or speed cycler or rough terrain cycler. I have some chronic physical issues and very out of shape. Trying to get in slightly better shape. And thank you all for the replies.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I would try to use as much as possible but I suppose what I am trying to say is that I’m no long distance cycler or speed cycler or rough terrain cycler. I have some chronic physical issues and very out of shape. Trying to get in slightly better shape. And thank you all for the replies.
Your in the same category as me then.
I try and combine cycling with trips I’d do anyway like shops, gym, family and work. 6-15 mile return journeys.
I used to be 16 stone but am now 10 due to calorie control and cycling. This puts less pressure on my joints.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@JoBear - if your budget's around £500 I'd suggest something similar to a Ridgeback Velocity or Boardman MTX

You need something that fits properly, so a local bike shop is advised. The minor issue at present is stock availability, which is why it's a 'similar to' suggestion. Get in contact with a couple of local ones, ask to try what they have in that budget.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Do you have a bicycle charity in your area?

It's amazing what is donated to them, then serviced and fitted to you, all for £200 or less. You might find something genuinely old and nice to ride, not fake old and sooo heavy!

Top Bottom