Big, grippy, non-hideous flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

The stock pedals on my newest bike have been feeling a bit tiny and haven't performed too well in the small amount of water and grime they've encountered in this surprisingly mild autumn. The rubber isn't grippy at all when wet and if I'm wearing a pair of DMs I can barely fit my foot on them. Is there anything even near as pretty as VO Sabots for less than the £80 they generally seem to go for in the UK?
8256463028_be04cdb950.jpg

MKS Grip Kings are... interesting looking, but I'm not sure I like how they narrow in the middle. If they're particularly good for big feet though I could get used to them; anyone tried them?
Lambda-Pedals-2.jpg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
DMR V6 for cheap and highly effective. DMR V12 to step it up a level.

Bodhbh

Guru
[QUOTE 5419418, member: 9609"]metal pedals always seem slippy, the only ones that I have tried that wern't used sharp protruding studs, they were brilliant but according to some they can really make a mess of your legs if you come off.[/QUOTE]

They will shred the soles of your footwear over time as well, which might not be cheap given the OP mentioned DMs (the price nowadays!). I generally have holes in my trainers within several thousand miles. Still I keep using them (DMRs as mentioned upthread).

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

No, I did mean Dr Martens. Not the best for cycling but I love wearing them otherwise so just try to make do on cold days (although I do draw the line at the fishskin pair as I think they're a bit too delicate when it comes to road crud). I'd be amazed if anything could shred the soles of them that much though - I have a pair that's about 15 years old and they're barely worn down!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Whatever you choose, try to get ones with replaceable pins - like those Saints above

and expect them to eat you too

I have permanent scars from my NC-17 Sudpin pedals. You can play join the dots on my legs

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Think I'll go for the DMR V12s or something similar like Nukeproofs just because they're reassuringly chunky to fit my size 12s. Could get a slimmer but still wide MTB pedal like Crank Bros Stamps but it's tougher to get a good discount on them. Now to scour everywhere looking for the perfect navy blue before I give up and just get black.
I'm normally not snooty about composite at all but I don't think it would suit this bike at all for some reason so looks like it'll be alloy.

the stupid one

Über Member
MKS Grip Kings are... interesting looking, but I'm not sure I like how they narrow in the middle. If they're particularly good for big feet though I could get used to them; anyone tried them?

I have these, also known as MKS Lambdas, on my mongrel bike. Most recently used for commuting on road and shared track, but previously used for rides of 50 to 100 km. I have UK size 11 feet and find the pedals comfortable, being so long and fairly wide. There’s scope to move my feet around a bit if I need to for changes of effort or gradient or even just pressure relief, and they’re pretty grippy, though my feet have occasionally slipped when it’s been muddy (wearing cheap walking boots with rubbery soles).

Top Bottom