Big helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Schooner

Hi. I saw some deals on helmets recently and was going to replace my 4 year old lid. However I got cold feet (cold head?) after measuring my head at 61 cm and all the lids I had been looking at were described as being sized up to 61 cm. Just as well, as today I dropped into a bike shop and couldn't find any 61 cms that were close to fitting.
The reason I wanted a new lid was that my current limar is huuuuge thus resulting in the mushroom look, and it doesn't ventilate well.
So, can anyone recommend a helmet for the larger heid that isn't massive and lets the cranium breathe?

Buzzinonbikes

I struggled with a helmet for my large bonce that didn't look daft. I originally had an XL Bell or something but that was like a big mushroom. I recently upgraded to a Specialized one. Sorry I can't remember the model now but they seem to be quite generous in the sizing. Bought it on sale from Evans if that helps. Everyone around Manchester seems to be wearing the same one at the minute.

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
I bought a Kask online as it was half price at Planet X for exactly the same reason, the mushroom effect. I'd love a spesh lid but they make me look like that mushroom guy from super mario bros. The Kask isnt perfect but its the best of the lot so far. The search continues though...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think my fat head is 62cm, which tends to be either on or past the limit of most "one size" helmets, so i went with a Specialized Max, which is rather huge and I can wear a beanie type hat under it in winter, nicely ventilated but a bit mushroomy - cant really complain for under 30quid tho. Id much rather go for comfort than looks anyway, since I can take it off when i stop at my destination. :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
My head is 58cm, and my medium Specialized (which specifies up to 60cm) fits me comfortably. The large goes up to 63cm, so should be plenty big enough.

(I'd never bought a medium in any kind of headwear until I discovered Specialized, so their sizing must be quite generous.)

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a big head!
Just been up the loft and climbed over tonnes of stuff to rescue my bike gear, last used in 92/3 the only thing that still fits are the gloves! LOL. The helmet is a Bell it says M/L but feels way to uncomfortable. Just measured the bounce at 63 cm. I guess I am going to have buy a new one as this one is over 22 years old now. Funny even the Sidi shoes (45) feel really tight yet my feet are the same size as in 91 which is a shame as they are almost mint.

Has anyone else got one of these?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/max-helmet-ec019803#select

They look big and good value.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Go to Halfords and try a Boardman Road helmet, generously sized and a good helmet. I have just had a look and there is the Boardman Pro Carbon helmet for the same price and that is 58 - 62 cms whereas the road is 58 - 61 cms.

Nebulous

Guru
I've always struggled with headgear for size, and started cycling 2 years ago with a specialized max. The pads are all falling apart with sweat and wear, so following a positive review in cycling plus I took a liking to a giro savant. Surprisingly enough a large one fits me rather well, and although I've only had it about 4 weeks I'm really liking it.

The next challenge is to find an outsize aero one!

Top Bottom