Big jessie for tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Judging by the damage and mess just outside my door this morning, I made a wise choice to bus it in today.

Mind you, a hardy soul wobbled along the Shore this morning as I waited on a bus at 6.40. I was impressed - until he turned right onto Coburg Street and proceeded to cycle on the pavement (when the road was empty).

A work colleague cycled in - but only a couple of miles - and said it wasn't too bad. Doubt I would have said the same thing after 10 miles of head & side winds and downed trees on the path ;)

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Tetedelacourse said:
Have you seen the new creme egg adverts on the side of buses? I hope you're collecting a fee.

Is that what that is ? I half-noticed the word 'Goo' on a bus the other day but was past in before I saw what it was all about.

I'm consulting with my lawyer now.

Maybe I should also point out that I found out a few years ago that 'goo' is in the Scottish Dictionary and means "an offensive smell" :biggrin: Maybe Cadbury is using the wrong word on their ads this side of the border !

No comment on my own use of it as my moniker, except that I was given it 32 years ago at primary school and it had nothing to do with smells :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

goo_mason said:
Is that what that is ? I half-noticed the word 'Goo' on a bus the other day but was past in before I saw what it was all about.

I'm consulting with my lawyer now.

Maybe I should also point out that I found out a few years ago that 'goo' is in the Scottish Dictionary and means "an offensive smell" :biggrin: Maybe Cadbury is using the wrong word on their ads this side of the border !

No comment on my own use of it as my moniker, except that I was given it 32 years ago at primary school and it had nothing to do with smells :biggrin:

Just offensive then?:biggrin:

Interesting journey

I made the commute this morning through central Edinburgh. It was um, interesting. The wind was only a real problem when coming out from behind buildings when crossing an intersection and a side wind gust hit me. Stoopid Campy aero wheels probably weren't helping :biggrin:.

It kinda felt like a movie with random debris all over the roads and paths and a couple of discarded christmas tree doing their best tumbleweed impression.

Heading home I'm tucked down in a sheltered old railway line path most of the way so should be fine.

domtyler

Über Member
I cycled in this morning, tough going admittedly but I made it in one piece. Hopefully the wind will still be going in the same direction at home time so I can relax as I out accelerate Lamborghini's from the lights and set off every speed camera along the A11 as I nip along at a safe speed of my own determination.

Arch

Married to Night Train
goo_mason said:
None of which sound particularly safe for cycling in, so I'll be a big jessie for the day and travel in by bus :biggrin:

I assume not a double decker, I'd worry about it blowing over!

Just breezy here, especially round the west front of the Minster, that's always breezy anyway, but today was one of those days all the tourists are being blown away! I've seen people cycle down the side of the building, come out of the lee of the church and come to a complete halt, the gusts are so bad!

Tynan

Veteran
went home last night at about 8pm and the wind was certainly lively, a gust, fortunately behind me, as good as picked me up at Finsbury Park and there were some very interesting side winds from turning, it's funny how you automatically adjust, see the bike at silly angles

don't think I've ever not gone because of weather, granted London gets it less and I wouldn't fancy big bridges

this morning was ok barring slogging into a firm and cold wind

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

CaptainDecisive said:
I made the commute this morning through central Edinburgh. It was um, interesting. The wind was only a real problem when coming out from behind buildings when crossing an intersection and a side wind gust hit me. Stoopid Campy aero wheels probably weren't helping :wacko:.

It kinda felt like a movie with random debris all over the roads and paths and a couple of discarded christmas tree doing their best tumbleweed impression.

Heading home I'm tucked down in a sheltered old railway line path most of the way so should be fine.

Brave man, Captain ! I do mostly go on the old railway path from Leith to Roseburn, and then I'm more exposed the rest of the way to Edinburgh Park, but after the number of fallen trees across the path on a not-quite-so-windy day last year I've decided that I'd rather avoid being wiped out by nature if it's really, really windy...

Must admit to wishing I'd had the bike for coming home on tonight. The tailwind would have been brilliant and I wouldn't have had to pedal most of the way !

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Tetedelacourse said:
Just offensive then?:wacko:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

As as veggie, I will admit to producing vast quantities of offensive gas these days. But not when I was a kid.

I was sweet and loveable back then (as I still am now, bar my frequent disengaging of the airbrakes).

Plax

Guru
The wind and rain has picked up a bit here tonight. It wasn't too bad today. The wind was against me getting into work, but on the way home there was hardly any wind, and it had only just started to rain. I was humming and haing over whether I would cycle in today given yesterdays weather, but I felt obliged to in the end, particularly as the weather this morning was fairly nice (although there was snow on the mountains!). Work colleague wanted to cycle in, but is too scared to cycle under the tunnel herself (to be fair it is very dark) so we met on-route and cycled in and home together.

Yesterday was a totally different story. It was awful! Dunno what possessed me to cycle in - the heavens had opened and the wind was atroucious. A nasty cross wind nearly blew me over, luckily it was just by a layby and I kind of blew into that and straightened myself. I was soaked and had people telling me how mad I was for most of the day :wacko:.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

snorri said:
Are you making a spare buck by offering a haven to some of these Fifers who can't get home tonight Goo:?::smile:

I think they're sleeping under the desks at work tonight instead :wacko:

Many left their cars at home because of the chaos on the roads and bridge and took the train. For those who use Edinburgh Park Station, there was bad news this afternoon when it was announced that the trains wouldn't be stopping there tonight, so they'd have to bus it into Edinburgh to get the train back out again !!

Guess I'm lucky that I live (a) on a direct bus route door-to-door and (B) a decent and quick cycling distance from work.

Top Bottom